Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 AM

Default AA Postflop

This hand came up in a small rebuy qualifier fpr the Party 300k NL HE . For some reason the hand history for this tourney is missing completely, so here`s the hand as i remember it.

Blinds 800-400, Ante 25, 15 places payed, about 90 players left. I have aprox 39000, villain 105000.

After a limper in third, i get aces in fifth. I raise to 3500, villain in co calls, limper calls.

I didn`t know villain, having seen only a few hands at this table, non of which villain played as far as i remember, so i gave him Harrington`s calling hands against a raise, being AK-AQs, any pair 77 or better.

Flop comes K44 rainbow.Limper checks, I bet 8500, villain calls, limper folds.

He might very well be slowplaying kings or aces. Or he could be slowplaying AK thinking a raise would drive me away should i be trying to buy the pot with a pocket pair lower than kings. He might call with a pocket pair lower than kings since there`s only one overcard. All in all i`m way ahead of most hands he might have so no reason for to much concern yet.

The turn brings a Queen.

Another likely hand now beats me. I have about 27000 left. There are 29000 in the pot. I think a moment about checking but decide against it. He would just check behind with a weaker hand but bet out if he had me beat, in which case i would probably have to call.

If i push i`ll probably drive away the hands i have beat and be called by the hands that beat me, so i bet 15000.

Villain instapushes.

Great. Is there any likely hand i can beat? There are 71000 in the pot now.I get almost 6:1 for my call. If this is an attempt to push me off my hand it`s a rather stupid one. No, he has a real hand. If he has anything other than KK or QQ it`s AA or AK, but would he play those hands like that? I don`t really think so, after all i could have AA, KK, QQ. Besides if i fold now i would still have enough chips to claw my way back. If only the pot wasn`t that big...

In the end i called, of course he had Queens, and of course that was the end of me.

Afterwards i kicked myself for not following my read but then i did the math and found that the call was breakeven even if he has KK, QQ 90 % of the time.

I´m in that kind of situation quite of often. I find playing with a pot grown out of control really difficult. What do you think? Should i have done anything different, especially concerning my bet on the turn?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Re: AA Postflop

all i do different is push the turn
Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 AM

Guy can have easily have AK or KQ.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 AM

I tend to overbet the flop against big stacks with premium hands because I figure most will call with just about any made hand if they have a reasonable amount already committed preflop. I just don't want anyone who has me covered drawing out. But that's me, I'm sure I'm losing EV even if I see less heartbreak like this, which I just don't handle well. It's a personal preference thing. Good players don't want to get in the habit of protecting against two outs in most circumstances.

Not sure it makes a difference here. Only in the very rarest of circumstances are you getting away from aces up on a board that doesn't have a str8 or flush possibility without a good read on opponent.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good players don't want to get in the habit of protecting against two outs in most circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not only correct for good players - and as well not dependent on any circumstances. Getting into this habit is a sign for extremely bad players.

Please do not take this as a personal attack, it is only an advice to basically think about your attitude to the game.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good players don't want to get in the habit of protecting against two outs in most circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not only correct for good players - and as well not dependent on any circumstances. Getting into this habit is a sign for extremely bad players.

Please do not take this as a personal attack, it is only an advice to basically think about your attitude to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm well aware I have a shortcoming in this department, that's why I qualified what I said. Also I wasn't suggesting protecting against such long odds is a good strategy for anyone, I was saying that anyone who wants to be good must in fact resist it.

I think you're wrong about there being no circumstance where you would want to take down a pot you are a huge favorite in on the flop. I might well overbet to protect against long odds on or close to the bubble if I am very short stacked and pot committed--especially if it's a satellite to a big tourney.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 AM

1) Regardless of any other line of thinking, you can't really be thinking about folding the turn AFTER you bet 15k. You have 12k left and 27k invested, getting 6-1. Obvious call and live with the result.

2) He can have AK a lot here and AQ once in awhile. KQ, also possible, which HE thinks is the nuts but isn't. He isn't always full here and you are ahead often enough to justify your play.

3) Not relevant to result, but, 4000-4800 preflop.