Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM

Default In Aiding Poor, Edwards Built Bridge to 2008

In Aiding Poor, Edwards Built Bridge to 2008

An interesting little story in today's NY Times. From the article:

Mr. Edwards, who reported this year that he had assets of nearly $30 million, came up with a novel solution, creating a nonprofit organization with the stated mission of fighting poverty. The organization, the Center for Promise and Opportunity, raised $1.3 million in 2005, and — unlike a sister charity he created to raise scholarship money for poor students — the main beneficiary of the center’s fund-raising was Mr. Edwards himself, tax filings show.

and

While Mr. Edwards said the organization’s purpose was “making the eradication of poverty the cause of this generation,” its federal filings say it financed “retreats and seminars” with foreign policy experts on Iraq and national security issues.

and

But it was his use of a tax-exempt organization to finance his travel and employ people connected to his past and current campaigns that went beyond what most other prospective candidates have done before pursuing national office. And according to experts on nonprofit foundations, Mr. Edwards pushed at the boundaries of how far such organizations can venture into the political realm.

To me Edwards is a sleazeball.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: In Aiding Poor, Edwards Built Bridge to 2008

You'd think people would catch on to the fact that the Democrats, who claim to be representing the poor, are just as beholden (if indeed not more beholden) to special interests as the Republicans are.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They all do this, the Times just likes Hillary so its dissing her opponents. We are talking about the Clintons here, who have pardoned people for money.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They all do this, the Times just likes Hillary so its dissing her opponents. We are talking about the Clintons here, who have pardoned people for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Times likes Hillary? Maybe....but the main reason is they are trying to appear "unbiased" so they filet up one of the dems who has no chance anyway.

Edwards is a p.o.s., but he is the sacraficial lamb the times has chosen. They will continue to protect and promote the dem party as much as possible.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I to conclude that the Clintons are sleazeballs? The NY Times is a sleazeball newspaper?

Sleazy behavior is, well, sleazy behavior.

Let's make this the sleazy behavior by politicians thread. People should be able to provide a boatload from the Bush administration. What about Romney, McCain, Obama, Rudy, Thompson(s), etc. ? I'd love to read some.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Well, when news about Obama's ties to indicted real estate developer Tony Rezko came out, Obama denied ever doing Rezko any favors. A week or two ago, it came out that Obama wrote letters on behalf of developers tied to Rezko to state agencies. Search my posts about Rezko for background.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, when news about Obama's ties to indicted real estate developer Tony Rezko came out, Obama denied ever doing Rezko any favors. A week or two ago, it came out that Obama wrote letters on behalf of developers tied to Rezko to state agencies. Search my posts about Rezko for background.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one. Although I think Obama is basically a decent guy, just don't agree with his views on taxes and economics from what I've heard.

There's a lot of stuff from Bush and his administration that have been gone over many times. Stuff that Cheney stated where the insurgency is in it's dying stages or some such years ago is obviously a bunch of crap.

It's too bad (I'm including myself) people accept this crap from politicians so readily.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Edwards is about to be dumped out of the top tier. Richardson is gaining on him in polling AND fundraising. So all Edwards will really have left is being near the top in Iowa polling. His campaign is really a mirror of Gephardt's in 04, he is putting everything on Iowa.