Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Live 3/6 TPTK line check.

This is a typical 3/6 live game full of horrible loose passive retirees and a few younger guys (who tend to be more taggish but still cold call too many raises.) The villain in the hand is one of the younger guys. He is somewhat solid but that isn't saying a hell of a lot in this game.

I am utg with AcKd. I raise, get called by villain in ep, an lp retiree calls, as do either one or two of the blinds.

Flop Kh6s7s (10-11 sbs.)

I bet, villain calls, retirees all fold.

Turn 3c (7.5 bbs)

I bet, villain raises, I call.

River 2h (11.5 bbs)

I check, villain bets, I call.

I think that this is a somewhat standard hand, but coming from a nl background, I just wanted to do a check up. Also, fwiw, I think that villain is capable of raising KQ and possibly KJ. I wouldn't imagine him cold calling a raise with any king worse than that (although, I may be mistaken.)
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Live 3/6 TPTK line check.

Seems like you gave up a little early. I'd have put in a 3-bet on the turn before going to call down mode.

What hands do you put him on? AK, KQ, KJs all make some sort of sense. 67 maybe? Doesn't seem that likely. A set of 6s or 7s? I think you're ahead here way more than behind.

Edit: By call down mode I mean if he 4-bets on the turn, I'm check/calling the river. If he calls I'm leading the river and calling a raise.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 AM

Most standard hand I've seen in awhile.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:14 AM

totally standard, nh.

jjshabado -- too aggressive against 3/6 live retirees when it's obvious we have ak or a big pair.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
totally standard, nh.

jjshabado -- too aggressive against 3/6 live retirees when it's obvious we have ak or a big pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, except he's not up against the retirees. He's against a semi-solid young guy. I think this probably means we can rule out any two pair hands (except maybe 67), and we can rule out 45.

That really leaves AK, or a K with a lesser kicker or a set of 6s and 7s. I think we're ahead of this range often enough to 3-bet the turn.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What hands do you put him on?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he raised the turn, I thought that his most likely hand was 66 or 77, but KQ was certainly possible. In fact, as soon as he bet your river I said, "alright, I'll pay off your set."

edit: I should mention that a lot of my thinking comes from my nl background where call flop, raise turn usually means "I can destroy top pair."
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like you gave up a little early. I'd have put in a 3-bet on the turn before going to call down mode.

What hands do you put him on? AK, KQ, KJs all make some sort of sense. 67 maybe? Doesn't seem that likely. A set of 6s or 7s? I think you're ahead here way more than behind.

Edit: By call down mode I mean if he 4-bets on the turn, I'm check/calling the river. If he calls I'm leading the river and calling a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had done this on the flop I'd agree 100%.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had done this on the flop I'd agree 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea when average people don't raise the flop multiway then raise the turn their range is weighted towards monsters, although not enough to fold against an unknown.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 AM

I think a turn 3-bet is a good idea in that situation. Sometimes I call the turn and bet the river with AK after a turn raise. It can confuse my opponent. A few times I was able to win the hand without showdown with that unusual river bet. It worth a try.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 AM

What do you think villain puts you on when he raises the turn?

Why is not going to showdown important?

I like a river donk, but not in this line.