Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Is this spew - 200nl

Villian is unknown.

I almost never make moves like this, but im trying to mix up my postflop game a bit more by making a few wild moves in hope of getting more action.

just wondering how bad this really is and whether there is any real point to trying these things out at all. this is a pretty standard line for me with a set fwiw, but its against an unknown so im thinking maybe its just an unnecessary spew.

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $201.00
Hero (BB): $284.51
UTG: $217.18
CO: $221.55
BTN: $302.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $7.00</font>, BTN calls $7.00, SB folds, Hero calls $5.00

Flop: ($22) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $20.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $60.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $40.00

Turn: ($142) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $120.00</font>
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Is this spew - 200nl

vs "known" its fine.
I wouldnt do this vs unknown.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:11 PM

prefer to do this on a dryer board
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM

well i dont hate it but two things:

1 - id rather not do this to an unknown who will call you down with TJ or QJ or whatever.

2 - id rather be doing this w/ KJ where you are drawing to the nuts and a K might be good as well.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 - id rather be doing this w/ KJ where you are drawing to the nuts and a K might be good as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being drawing to the nut straight is totally irrelevant here since when we make any straight they will have a bigger one like 1% of the time if that. Having an overcard is good, but is not a huge plus.

FitnessFreak - I don't like it vs an unknown atall. I really don't like the flop raise size either. I assume you are hoping to fold out anything less than AQ with this raise, and I think $80 or so gets a lot more folds than $60.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I don't mind the flop at all. So many players play terribly; betting just about any two cards when checked to on the button here. It's good if he folds and you stand to win a large pot if he calls. But once he calls and you miss, it's pretty spewy to keep firing against an unknown on the turn.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:04 PM

umm, i think i probly just fold this preflop.

theres not much to gain trying to play this hand from OOP against 2 players. id much prefer a squeeze than trying to do this. you just arent going to get paid off enough when u do have a hand, and u arent going to make one often enough w/ 79s..
Old 06-24-2007, 07:05 PM

I dont like it. CO is still to act after having checked to pfr. I like it better when you go to flop heads, or on flop that doesnt figure to have hit everyone a little at least. Also, if you go for c/r on flop, c/r more and don't fire turn when you miss.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FitnessFreak - I don't like it vs an unknown atall. I really don't like the flop raise size either. I assume you are hoping to fold out anything less than AQ with this raise, and I think $80 or so gets a lot more folds than $60.

[/ QUOTE ]

im interested to hear more of peoples thoughts on the flop raise sizing. i was going to pot it but i figure that a lot of the time the button will just bet bcoz he thinks he should, even with nothing. i believe that my raise will have a similar effect as a pot sized raise in that they both imply strength and would likely make the villian think that there is a good chance that he will be having to get all his money in if he wants to get to showdown. thus he will fold most marginal hands whether i just raise what i did or pot it. however i am willing to be convinved otherwise.

oh and yes, i agree that continuing on the turn without hitting is bad, esp considering that it completely contradicts my thought process on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 PM

One thing I didn't mention before is that I think this is a really bad flop to make this kind of move on since it is a flop that is likely to hit someone pretty hard. Also you get shoved on a fair bit by hands as weak as TPGK in my experience.