Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 06:34 AM

Default $1k Championship event (online) facing over raise from laggy BB

OK this hand is from a while ago but kinda qualifies for this forum and not posted it yet, so…

$1k buy-in Championship event (online) multi with around 190 runners. Structure is 5,000 starting chips with 30 min blinds (so plenty of play). At this point mtt had been going around 3 and a half hours, average stack at around 10k-ish. Table is generally tight / passive. UTG+1 has been fairly quiet since I was moved to the table (around 30 - 40 mins ago) but seems like a gutsy player, and TAG as supposed to weak like some of the other players at the table.

My image is in between TAG and LAG, but I’ve not shown down any hands and not been in any big pots yet and nothing outrageous (mainly late pos raises / steals, a few limps and bets versus blinds etc). I came to the table with a healthy stack.

BB is very aggressive player from Denmark and seems to be making a lot of moves. He's 3-bet at least 3 or 4 times, never flat calling a raise. He's been putting pressure on people who he thinks are weak, and appears to bet strongly (the pot) when (it seems) he wants a fold (he seems to slow down on the turn if called) and has bet softer - around 1/2 pot with stronger hands. He also bet out 2 pair from the SB and BB on 2 separate occasions. I didn’t know a whole lot about him but found out later he’d won around $200k on party mainly with 2 big cashes and was friends with Morten Erlandsen aka Pokergirl1 (highly respected online pro).

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem
Blinds: t150/t300
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes before the hand:
UTG+1 ~ t15,200
Hero ~ t15,500
BB ~ t15,500
(Rest of table between t6,900 and t17,700 – average at this stage is somewhere around t10,000).

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, 3 folds, 3 folds, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t1,050, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t800</font>, BB raises to t4,000, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">Hero?</font>

No antes, pot is ~ t6,000 and is t3,200 to you…….

(Remaining stacks – BB ~ t11,200, Hero t14,400).
Old 06-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: $1k Championship event (online) facing over raise from laggy BB

I'd fold large majority of the time?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I also would also just check behind on the flop.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I also would also just check behind on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So checking this flop in position is fairly standard???

FWIW:
a) I would be betting with like 80% of my range when checked to in this spot.
b) I'm pretty sure UTG+1 would bet out almost always if he had anything.

I think BB / villain is probably good enough to have picked up on both of these facts...
Old 06-22-2007, 07:56 AM

I don't know if it's standard but I probably would in a structure with no antes and against two apparently good players in a limped pot. I like my hand, I'm not calling a raise, so take a free card.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:17 AM

Was this the crypto tourney?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this the crypto tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was a $165k guaranteed on Ladbrokes, Feb this year I think.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM

The way you've set the hand up, with the reads and all, it's obviously going to be arguable that you don't fold the flop. Basically, if your line is: bet, if aggro BB raises big, move in either now or when he checks the turn, that's fine. He leads two pair, he bets big when he wants people to fold, you're betting 80% of your range here, he knows that. If that's the line, then it's fine. It's probably not a line I would take at this stage, with no antes and no pressure on play, unless this was a really tough table.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The way you've set the hand up, with the reads and all, it's obviously going to be arguable that you don't fold the flop. Basically, if your line is: bet, if aggro BB raises big, move in either now or when he checks the turn, that's fine. He leads two pair, he bets big when he wants people to fold, you're betting 80% of your range here, he knows that. If that's the line, then it's fine. It's probably not a line I would take at this stage, with no antes and no pressure on play, unless this was a really tough table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't that tough a table in hindsight, but I hadn't played a whole lot of big buy in events back then (qual'd via $100r satelite), so at the time it kinda felt tougher than it was.

I think proceding with the hand was more risky than I felt at the time. (i.e. what if villian is playing a set / 2 pair wierdly, does he play something like Ace Ten this way, and how often does he follow through a big c/r on the turn...)

If we continue with the hand, what is better - pushing flop or flat calling flop and betting / pushing if and when we are checked to on the turn?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 AM

Well, personally, I'd rather not lose 1/3 of my stack here and have him lead into me again (because then you are folding) or check-fold when I do hit an out, so, if I'd decided to take this line, I'd count to five and shove. But, as I say, I probably wouldn't take this line with long levels and no antes.