Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM

Default BASEBALL PROP BET

My friend is a collegiate pitcher. He throws high 80's and can locate the ball. I quit baseball in the 5th grade, but I played college football and am athletic.

This is the prop bet. My friend pitches me 50 fastballs, they must be strikes (i can take balls). I have to hit four of them fair, out of the infield. He gets a five minute break after every ten pitches.

Question: should I get odds, and what odds should they be
Old 12-28-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: BASEBALL PROP BET

Get odds if you can, but I think you should be able to hit 4/50 fastballs solidly fair. If he is mixing up speeds and pitches, then that's a different story. Does "out of the infield" include hard groundballs, or do they have to be line drives and flyballs?

Important question: Can you swing a bat? Ever been to a batting cage? If you can't hit a 60mph pitch from a machine, then you won't be able to hit his pitches...
Old 12-28-2006, 06:16 PM

I can hit pitches that are outside sometimes. I haven't hit an inside pitch pretty much ever, and he knows this. However, I am definitely strong and fast enough to put the ball out of the infield if i can make contact.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend is a collegiate pitcher. He throws high 80's and can locate the ball. I quit baseball in the 5th grade, but I played college football and am athletic.

This is the prop bet. My friend pitches me 50 fastballs, they must be strikes (i can take balls). I have to hit four of them fair, out of the infield. He gets a five minute break after every ten pitches.

Question: should I get odds, and what odds should they be

[/ QUOTE ]

On the fly, or can they roll?

On the fly, I would be against you. But if you make contact with an 85 MPH fastball, it's going to roll pretty far, which makes the bet easy for you (just hit the ball)

At the same time, you would be surprised how hard it is to make contact with a good fastball if you haven't played baseball in a while. Before you take the bet, head down to the batting cages and make sure you have a shot.

Good prop bet idea though
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM

If you are not allowed to go to a batting cage beforehand I think you are a clear underdog, though you would have a shot. If you were allowed to go a few times to get some timing then it is a pretty good bet. I also assume that a ground ball that trickles into the outfield grass counts as a hit.

This is probably obvious but if there is a significant amount of money on the bet you should have an "umpire" to mitigate any disputes on balls/strikes. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 PM

we have an umpire, and I am allowed to take balls that dont count against my 50

i am not allowed to go to the cages before the prop bet, but he must finish all 50 strikes in the allotted framework
Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 PM

I think you are a pretty significant underdog here. If you have to take full swings I would say you are +325 or so. If you are allowed to do a half swing-half bunt type of thing to hit it just hard enough to get it to the OF, I would say you are +175.

If you get to pick the field make sure you dont pick one with high grass. Astroturf would obviously be ideal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also if he warms up at all, be sure you are standing near the plate to help with your timing.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 PM

what if he beans you? Does that count as a hit or two to the outfield?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM

the field is grass

i am pretty sure he wont bean me, he is pretty good

i guess i could try and squeeze in a hit-by-pitch=1 hit

right now I am only being offered straight up 1:1 odds, i think that might be bs?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 PM

wait wait wait.. so you are telling me, you get FIFTY swings, to hit 4 balls fair? i could have done this when i was 8. this is a ridiculously easy bet for you. hes throwing fastballs. that means it goes straight and doesnt move, and you know its coming every single time. u get FIFTY attempts. to hit 4. fair. hahahhaaha. u should be giving HIM like 20 to 1. instatake this bet if you dont you are a fool. holla