Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Default I wish someone had raised PF

With the aggro nature of the Commerce 20 games these days, I rarely find myself playing absolute crap hands because seeing a free from from the BB is so uncommon.

Anyway...

An aggressive player who has some tricks up his sleeve open limps UTG. A reasonable, mediocre, slightly weird/shifty regular limps in MP2. A guy who I don't know very well but has been playing fairly snug (except the time he opened 66 in EP, flopped a set, and owned the BB) limps along on the button, and the SB (a fishy idiot) completes.

I check my option in the BB with K2o.

The flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

The SB instinctively reaches for his stack but then checks. I check, and it gets checked around.

The turn is the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

SB checks, I bet (?), and I get 3 callers -- UTG, MP2, and button.

The river is the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I check (?), UTG checks, MP2 bets, button folds, and I can't tell if UTG is going to fold or not but I fold anyway.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: I wish someone had raised PF

I play it the same. I think the turn bet is close though- check/folding can't be too far wrong there.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:52 PM

The only other line I could think of is to just bet the flop, especially if you would usually do this with a Q. The Q should make it hard for hands like 9T to call, you may get someone to fold a 3, and if anyone calls it's an easy check-fold on the turn with such a dry board.

Basically you save a SB bet when someone with a better hand (like a crappy 8) is going to call you but won't bet the flop, you lose a SB when you could have check-folded the flop (the better hand bets), and you may save yourself the whole pot those times that someone would have folded to your flop bet but catches something on the turn to call you down with.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM

You played it reasonably. The problem with leading with bottom pair into odd/tricky types is that they're most likely to make an odd/tricky move on the cheap street.

Once you see no flop action, your turn lead looks like you intended to check raise and tells a more compelling story.

Since the turn lead still was met with interest, I'd tend to not put more money in this pot without improvement.

You took a reasonable stab and didn't take it down. No sense in paying off.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:41 PM

I've made that same turn bet so many times that I can't count but I think I'm going to stop. Admittedly just going from what might be selective memory, it just doesn't seem to 'work' often enough to be a money-maker. I especially like to bet it when the board pairs and I get called every damn time and end up losing somehow.

Hmmm. This sounds more of a rant than advice. Anyway, that's my experience. I'm going to just check those turns and pray.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Too many players and too many draws for this to work most of the time. I like a check better.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:05 PM

I bet this flop about 100% of the time.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the 3 is something other than a 3? Like specifically 6-J?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to until SB pulled that move of reaching for chips then checking (it wasn't an act; he was doing it barely noticeably). I obviously made a bad read, but I thought he liked his hand and decided to slowplay the flop. When the flop checked through and he checked the turn again, I... revised... my read.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:51 PM

hmm... usually when someone grabs their chips like they are going to bet, it means that PLEASE DONT BET I HAVE A DRAW AND I WILL CALL!