Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Can\'t decide what event to play

Going to Vegas for a five day weekend and want to play a lot of cash games to make money, but I definitely gotta play in one WSOP event.

My two choices are:
1. $3000 Limit holdem on Wednesday June 20th at 5pm
2. $1500 No Limit holdem on Thursday June 21st at 12pm

The limit tournament will have about 400 players, and I'm a good limit player, but the buy in is twice that of the NL tournament. The 1500 NL tournament will probably have a few thousand players, and I hear it's a donk fest, but is that bad? They' both three day tournaments, so I can't really decide.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Can\'t decide what event to play

No Limit for so many reasons.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM

Put it this way: If you tell somebody that you won a bracelet, they will be impressed and ask you which event. If you respond, "Limit," they will laugh at you.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Well, I played the limit event. I was seated at a table with Greg Mueller (FBT), and Barry Greenstein. I took the chip lead in the third round, but then a confluence of factors led to my demise.
!) Fatigue is the main reason, i actually dozed off one hand. I came straight from the airport to the event, I was dead tired because I'd just gottten through midterms for summer school. I knew I shouldn't have played but I got an adrenaline rush when I arrived at the rio for the first time which carried me through four rounds and the dinner break. However, shortly after dinner, I completely crashed. I was so tired from being awake nearly 40 hours that I just hated life and started making terrible moves.
2) Greg Mueller showed up. He had been sitting out the first two rounds "to make a point" about limit being worthless in the first few rounds. Whether or not this is the case, he ended up right to my left so I didn't adjust to it, and kept aggressively trying to run the table which didn't work with this addded dynamic
3) I diddn't pace myself according. I'm used to online tournaments with 15 - 30 minute levels. This was my first wsop, and it had 60 minutes levels.

Other aspects of live play that I had taken into account. I sat next to a stinking french guy. Probably hadn't showered in weeks and his BO and french cursings annoyed me. Being crowded at the table. People getting massages would take up two spot and crowd the dealer into me making it uncomfortable. Table talk, not used to chatting in online games, but it can be distracting.