Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Anti-Gas Price Gouging Bill for Gasoline

Tell me that this legislation isn't kookie, in the "Energy Legislation" passed by the House, price gouging is defined as:

The bill defines gouging as pricing that is "unconscionably excessive" or "indicates the seller is taking unfair advantage of unusual market conditions ... to increase prices unreasonably."

House Passes Anti-Gas Price Gouging Bill

The Senate is now considering similar legislation:

The Senate and House make a controversial move to control alleged profiteering.

This will do nothing but tend to drive up the price at the pump as does basically everything that I've seen come down the pike from the Democrats in Congress. Again if government wants to have a big impact on lowering prices at the pump they could eliminate all taxes that are charged at the pump.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Anti-Gas Price Gouging Bill for Gasoline

Yep, you've got it right. But these people are economical censored tards. The only tool they have is a hammer, so a hammer is what they're going to use.

There's really nothing else you should expect from these people. They are living in an interventionist paradigm. That's what the state is and that's the only thing a state can become unless maybe the population starts understanding economics, morality, nature of govt, and so on, and start actively hating them when they do things like this.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, you've got it right. But these people are economical censored tards. The only tool they have is a hammer, so a hammer is what they're going to use.

There's really nothing else you should expect from these people. They are living in an interventionist paradigm. That's what the state is and that's the only thing a state can become unless maybe the population starts understanding economics, morality, nature of govt, and so on, and start actively hating them when they do things like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe more people loathe Congress than you believe when you look at John Kilduff's post and for good reason I might add. The government has demonstrated itself to be dysfunctional time after time and the response from government is to pass more laws giving it more power so it can be even more dysfunctional.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:04 PM

I looked up some numbers up here in canada. Apparently the gas companies make 3% profit while the government makes 35% tax and half of that doesnt even go to road repair. Whos gouging who?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked up some numbers up here in canada. Apparently the gas companies make 3% profit while the government makes 35% tax and half of that doesnt even go to road repair. Whos gouging who?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain that in the U.S. the biggest profiteer from gasoline is the government collectively. All levels of government in the U.S. get in the profits.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain that in the U.S. the biggest profiteer from gasoline is the government collectively. All levels of government in the U.S. get in the profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a "windfall tax" is in order.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me that this legislation isn't kookie, in the "Energy Legislation" passed by the House, price gouging is defined as:

The bill defines gouging as pricing that is "unconscionably excessive" or "indicates the seller is taking unfair advantage of unusual market conditions ... to increase prices unreasonably."

House Passes Anti-Gas Price Gouging Bill

The Senate is now considering similar legislation:

The Senate and House make a controversial move to control alleged profiteering.

This will do nothing but tend to drive up the price at the pump as does basically everything that I've seen come down the pike from the Democrats in Congress. Again if government wants to have a big impact on lowering prices at the pump they could eliminate all taxes that are charged at the pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gas and cigarettes.... govt tax golden gooses. they talk about wanting America to use less of these things....but they tax the crap out of em and rely on that money to waste on this and that.

price gouging? look no further than the govt. If they were really interested in lowering gas prices...all they need to do is pass a tax cut. FFFFFF them, crooks.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 PM

As usual, Congress tries to pass a bill full of good intentions, but completely missing the point on how to actually do it. They don't pass anything to actually fix anything like the AMT or marriage penalty because it will lower revenues and they would be unable to come up with stupid legislation like this.

We need to blow up Congress and all of the bills it has passed and start over again. This is getting absurd.