Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Body heat during cardio question

I have this recumbent exercise bike at home that I use for my cardio. I tend to sweat a lot, and as the weather was getting warmer, at the end of my cardio, it was so bad that my shirt was basically all wet. I started putting a fan right in front of me during the workout and, while I'm still sweating, it's not nearly as much now (same workout time, resistance level, etc.). So, is my cardio workout any "less effective" now because I'm not sweating as much?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Body heat during cardio question

no, its not less effective because of the fan...its less effective because you are doing the same time/resistance level etc...you have to make changes to your plan in order to see continued progress...your body adapts quickly to cardio exercise so as you become more effcient you burn less calories and see less benefits...
Old 06-18-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, its not less effective because of the fan...its less effective because you are doing the same time/resistance level etc...you have to make changes to your plan in order to see continued progress...your body adapts quickly to cardio exercise so as you become more effcient you burn less calories and see less benefits...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what he said. You should use a fan and towels to keep yourself cool, but you have to step up the intensity once you get adjusted to it.

Furthermore, you should think about changing up your cardio methods. People get adjusted and efficient very quickly at doing the same thing over and over again. Try biking for a month, then running for a month, swimming for a month, HIIT for a month, etc. Forcing your body to adapt will help you lose weight and get in better shape.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

I do think that the fan makes it less effective to an extent. I used to love riding my bike in the rain. I wear a heart rate monitor when I ride and when it rains my heart rate is noticeably lower. I think the fan keeping your body cooler has a similiar effect and you need to/are able to increase your effort.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm not sure that overheating is the best way to increase the effectiveness of a workout. I think there is a problem in gauging a workout soley by a HRM because it is only measuring one variable, your heart rate.

This weekend in Denver I made the mistake of getting on my bike when it was 90 degrees out and after about 20 minutes of riding was cooked. Couldn't keep my HR under 85% for any length of time but know that I spent most of the rest of the ride coasting. According to the HRM for that 50 minutes my avg hr was 80% max was 89% and calories burned was 715. I don't think this would compare at all to if I had to work as hard on my trainer to get my HR to the same level for the same amount of time.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am gradually increasing the resistance of the bicycle, and I "change it up" sometimes by doing periods of high and low resistance. Plus, I go walking and running as well. The point of me saying that it's the same time/resistance was just to emphasize that the only difference is the fan keeping me cooler.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am gradually increasing the resistance of the bicycle, and I "change it up" sometimes by doing periods of high and low resistance. Plus, I go walking and running as well. The point of me saying that it's the same time/resistance was just to emphasize that the only difference is the fan keeping me cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, then no, its no less effective...perhaps its a problem with me, but anytime i hear of someone doing steady state cardio i imagine the fat ladies i see walking on the same treadmills every morning that are still fat...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that overheating is the best way to increase the effectiveness of a workout. I think there is a problem in gauging a workout soley by a HRM because it is only measuring one variable, your heart rate.

This weekend in Denver I made the mistake of getting on my bike when it was 90 degrees out and after about 20 minutes of riding was cooked. Couldn't keep my HR under 85% for any length of time but know that I spent most of the rest of the ride coasting. According to the HRM for that 50 minutes my avg hr was 80% max was 89% and calories burned was 715. I don't think this would compare at all to if I had to work as hard on my trainer to get my HR to the same level for the same amount of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure your replying to me but if your are, I'm not talking about being able to work harder and then overheat. My point was that while riding in the rain I am able to put out a harder effort without it taking as big a toll on my body. I can go the same distance but at a faster pace and still keep my hr in the desired range. Or I can go farther with the same effort. Of course all the cool kids now use the power meter thing rather than the hrm. I aint cool.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think that the fan makes it less effective to an extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was replying to Train.

[ QUOTE ]

I used to love riding my bike in the rain. I wear a heart rate monitor when I ride and when it rains my heart rate is noticeably lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Combine with this made me think you were only using the HRM as a measure of effort.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the fan keeping your body cooler has a similiar effect and you need to/are able to increase your effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

And read this as saying overheating leads to a more effective workout instead that being cooler will allow you to increase your level of effort. So I guess I'm not sure what you mean by effective workout and how being hotter will make a workout more effective.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess I'm not sure what you mean by effective workout and how being hotter will make a workout more effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying being hotter makes a workout more effective. I was saying that I think the rain keeps my core temp down and that I think a lower core temp allows me to generate the same power but with less effort and in turn the same effort has better results as far as avg speed, distance traveled, etc. I'm guessing that the fan keeping him cool is similiar in that he is able to and needs to put out more effort for the same result. [/end rambling]