Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Default LIMCASH - TPNK, weird board

villain has been mostly passive but has raised for a free-card and also with some cheese like K6-high on Q99 board. probably because of tilt, i have been three-betting a little lighter than usual. i'd appreciate thoughts on all streets, including alternate lines and plans for the river.

villain posts the small blind of $1
squidbilly posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to squidbilly [4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
villain <font color="red">raises</font> to $4
squidbilly <font color="red">raises</font> to $6
villain calls $2
6 sb
*** FLOP *** [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
squidbilly <font color="green">bets</font> $2
villain <font color="red">raises</font> to $4
squidbilly <font color="red">raises</font> to $6
villain calls $2
6 bets
*** TURN *** [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
squidbilly <font color="green">bets</font> $4
villain calls $4
8 bets
*** RIVER *** [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
squidbilly <font color="green">bets</font> $4

thanks!
bbbushu
Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: LIMCASH - TPNK, weird board

Interesting hand. I don't often 3bet preflop here with A rag (even suited) OOP. I think you get more value out of flopping an A by just calling, you get away from bad boards for little cost, and you can induce bluffs on safe boards. It also balances all the times when your preflop calls are with weakish hands.

Given your read on villain, I guess the flop 3bet makes sense, even though you are showing more strength than your hand merits. As played, the river is tricky. I think I want to show this down for one bet, and I think I may induce a lot of bad river bets with a check versus this opponent, so I think I check/call here. I'd only bet if I felt I could safely bet/fold in this big pot, which won't be the case if (1) this guy has a tendency to make some random nonsensical raises [as your read seems to suggest] and (2) I am psychologically strong enough to not make the call because I hate folding the river in big pots with hands that can beat bluffs.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM

It's all ugly.

Initial reaction was to just call the flop raise. Given that he's passive and that the flop is relatively dry, it's hard for him to put you on anything than a good pair, probably TP or some good J. So a raise by him should be something reasonable (I don't quite count the raise on a prd board because w/out further info (i.e. preflop action) he might well have thought that you missed as well and K-high was good). Given that I might still improve, I'd have reserved the right to raise the turn if I spike something good. However, the trouble with all of this is that it's pretty unclear if the 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is actually "something good" that'd warrant a semibluff-raise.
Had you b/called, c/r'ed, you'd of course would have to bet any river, just as you did here. You might have a bit more fold equity, but I doubt it. It's just getting more expensive.

So, actually, I'd probably just call down from his flop raise. I doubt this is a free-card play of any sort, so the best case is KJ and if he has that, I don't care if I lose a bet.

Over his whole range, I think you should try to minimize losses on this board, not maximize value.

Given your line, though, I b/f the river as well. I doubt like hell he has the balls to raise you here as a bluff.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:43 AM

I like pf/flop/turn. On the river, you just don't really beat much here and this guy has shown a tendency for playing nutso so I think you're forced to c/c here and hope for a chop.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM

I don't understand the flop 3-bet. You described your actual hand and your mostly passive opponent raised you. That sounds like a problem.

Preflop - I would call.

Flop - Just call the raise.

Turn - OK.

River - Probably checkcall but betcall and betfold are within the realm of possibility. You are in a hard spot because you overplayed earlier and your hand has run out of gas.