Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Default NLTRN Regular vs. Turbo

In general, what is the difference IN GENERAL in the approach to Turbos vs Regular games? I'm used to regular games and I like having the time to feel my opponent out and figure out what his main weakness is and exploit it. Also like getting more time to get good hands. However, due to the smaller rake and time factor I'm thinking of trying out the turbo's (I play on Full Tilt if that makes a difference).
Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: NLTRN Regular vs. Turbo

I don't approach them a whole lot differently. You pretty much stated the pros/cons of both in your post and they are true. Just play solid HU poker and expect a lower ROI and higher $/hr in turbos and the opposite for regulars.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 AM

Don't try so much to set up an image, because turbo matches wont last long enough for it to really set in. Proper push-fold strategy is important in the turbos, some matches get blinds up to 50/100, 75/150, and even higher sometimes. (I've seen 200/400, but with two players making absolutely abominable folds)
Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't try so much to set up an image, because turbo matches wont last long enough for it to really set in. Proper push-fold strategy is important in the turbos, some matches get blinds up to 50/100, 75/150, and even higher sometimes. (I've seen 200/400, but with two players making absolutely abominable folds)

[/ QUOTE ]
Your first point about not setting up an image is completely opposite to how I approach this, turbos most of the match is centered around 15-20bb stacks where a tight image pays dividends, reg's whatever a tight image isnt as crucial when most of the match is 40bb+.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 AM

"Tight play pays dividends" is extremely player dependent. I've had people where for one reason or another I hadn't been in a good position to 3-bet them the whole game, we get into 25-50 and they are raising 3-4x OTB, I'm down to 800 and I shove over with AK and get called by [censored] like 95. The opposite happens, people just play their own game and their own "put you on a hand" style of poker a lot more than your image or the way you play your hands. That's why these games are so profitable.

However, I've been in a more controlling game lately in the beginning stages because of the horrible play later on and as cwar mentioned, the fact that some people will respect your play for a hand or two longer when the blinds really matter. That can pay off huge, but it is not always the case.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we get into 25-50 and they are raising 3-4x OTB, I'm down to 800 and I shove over with AK and get called by [censored] like 95.

[/ QUOTE ]
If villain does something like this why are you worried about your image?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:10 AM

That's the point. There can be little to no indication prior to this point in the match (at least 10 minutes in).

The point I'm trying to make is don't get too carried away with maintaining your image. A lot of people just don't give you the credit or give you too much credit regardless of what you've done. There are a lot of more important things to think about in a HUSNG.

Regardless of what type of strategy you implement in the early blind levels of a game, you should be comfortable enough with it to know how most villains are going to treat you later in the game, within reason.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the point. There can be little to no indication prior to this point in the match (at least 10 minutes in).

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems insane to me, I usually have a decent read within 5 hands, 10 minutes I could probably write a paragraph on villain's psychology and play.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 AM

You're telling me within 5 hands of play you can determine villain's calling range in the short stack area?

Seriously?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're telling me within 5 hands of play you can determine villain's calling range in the short stack area?

Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow are you seriously going to try and skew my words that badly Chicago? You said he called a push after 10 minutes with 95 and that you didnt have a read, you should definitely at least have a clue after 10 minutes even if no hands have been shown down, Bayes Theorem.