Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Motivation problems

Here is a brief description as to where am at;

Since 01/01/07, I've been playing nl100-nl600 6-max & nl100-nl400 HU.

I have no job and poker is my only source of income.
I've been making on average $90ph not including rakeback.
The problem is that I've played on 17h per week!! and with an MT ratio of only 3!! (129K hands in 5.5 months)

Now, this is [censored]. I know part-timers who play more than this. And full timers who play as much in 1 month.

If I played double the number of hours with an MT ratio of 6, i would have made $150K since the start of 2006.

The worse is that it's not like I'm busy with other stuff. I could play 20h per day if i really wanted. To be fair i spend a lot of time thinking about the game and reading posts / watching vids etc... but when it comes down to actually playing hands i can't really get myself in the groove. I can't really explain what it is that prevents me from playing more. It's like I'm earning enough to live comfortably so I become complacent. Help me get rich!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Motivation problems

you have made 75k so far this year, im sure thats plenty and you dont really need to play more. So you lack motivation.

It seems you are saying you want to get rich but dont REALLY want it, you are content, you need to get hungry again for something.

If you want to improve to move higher, use that as motivation.

If you have something you want, set yourself the goal of getting it as fast as possible.

If you just want to prove you can grind out a lot of hands, go for it.

Basically you just need a motivating factor, if you are content its no big deal and just relax.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:55 AM

Well, i think i agree with you. But my motivational factor *should* be that poker might not be profitable for too long and that I'm gonna have to go work a $12ph job when it all ends. So I should really be playing as much as possible right now so i've got monies for harder times. But it's not happening. I think I've got the capabilities to beat high-midstakes but am not taking advantage of it.

P.S.: I haven't made 75K. More like 40K.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM

I DON'T SEE A BIG PROBLEM HERE IT IS GOOD THAT YOU ONLY PLAY WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE IT. IF YOU FORCE YOURSELF TO PLAY WHEN YOUR NOT INTERESTED IT COULD COST YOU. MAYBE YOU NEED MORE BREAKS BETWEEN SETS OR LONGER SESSIONS.
YOU SAY YOU PLAY 17 HR PER WEEK SO HOW OFFTEN AND HOW LONG DO YOU PLAY?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Your motivation could be that your play, and the videos you have made, are helping a lot of newbies like myself improve the thought process of the game.

You seem to have a love of the game. Offer to become a mentor to others. You've already started this process with the videos you have produced. Many of the chess players I know actually improve their games by mentoring others. It forces you to think about the basic core of the game while mentoring. That in itself can improve your game and restart the engine.

Mentoring down the line in itself can also be a source of supplemental income.

If you believe you are getting burnt, but have some funds to stand by for a time, take a holiday to recharge those batteries.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you play at Brick & Mortars? Maybe the lack of personal interaction most of the week is affecting your motivation & your play.

Until then, do not stop playing. Once you step away, it starts a downward cycle. Don't let that happen.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, i think i agree with you. But my motivational factor *should* be that poker might not be profitable for too long and that I'm gonna have to go work a $12ph job when it all ends. So I should really be playing as much as possible right now so i've got monies for harder times. But it's not happening. I think I've got the capabilities to beat high-midstakes but am not taking advantage of it.

P.S.: I haven't made 75K. More like 40K.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still profitable now even after the U.S. bans. Not even close to what it was but it will be for a long time to come.

Add that to the fact if the legislation get's repealed and regulated a whole new generation of fish will be born.

I make over 100k a year but I have to spend 6 months of my year in Iraq working 88 hour work weeks doing it. Your making almost that sitting in your undies at a computer 17 hours a week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You have life by the balls. IF you move to a 40 hour work week and stick with if for 10 years you can retire at an age unheard of [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Your motivation can be do I want to be retired before I get old and gray [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 07:06 AM

Here's 3 responses I was considering, but couldn't decide on just one, so here they all are:

Response 1.

You spend time thinking about it, which is like further study so essentially, you are spending more than 17 hours a week on it. Plus $90 at $17hrs a week is still a pretty decent wage!

Response 2.

I personally don't enjoy poker at all and play about 15hours a week. A friend of mine taught me, and I do well, but it's just not what I enjoy, so I find it hard to play more hours. I enjoy my pre-travel career of software developer, but would earn 1/50th doing that here in Thailand compared to playing online for only like 15hrs a week. If you don't really enjoy it, maybe you should consider a change of career. You can still play poker for 15-20hrs a week if you have a job you like - 15 hours extra isn't really that hard.

Response 3.

"Waaaaaah! I earn $90 a freakin hour but aren't motivated to play more than 17hours a week - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

(couldn't really leave out that last one =P)