Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 AM

Default small stakes hold \'em: pot odds

i am beginning to read "small stakes hold 'em" by david sklansky. its such a difficult read, i decided to take it section at a time. i thought it would be fun to post my notes and feel the reaction. this post is on the second topic that he covers: pot odds

pot odds is the ratio of the current size of the pot to the bet that you must call.

Example: if you must call a $4 bet and the pot currently contains $40 (including the bet) then your pot odds are 40:4 or 10:1

pot odds are the most important factor determining a play's expectation.

when you are drawing to a hand, your decision to call should depend on the pot odds.

To calculate the break-even point for pot odds (assuming your making this decision on the turn)
1. divide 46 (the number of total unseen cards) by the number of outs you have
2. subtract one. this converts your results to odds form.

ex/ 10 outs is actually a 3.6:1 underdog [(46/10)-1]=3.6 for you to profitably call, your one bet should earn you the oppurtunity to win the equivelant of 3.6 bets (or 3.6 times more however amount of money your considering to call). so if you have 10 outs and the bet is $4 with a river to come, the pot must have over $14.4 for the call to be profittable.

Much of your profit in small stakes games comes from players who call when they should fold w/ weak hands. small stakes hold 'em is often a game of attacking players w/ weak draws

PO (Pot Odds) = {[46/(number of outs)] - 1} : 1
Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: small stakes hold \'em: pot odds

btw, if i'm breaking any rules by posting sections from the book please dont disable my account, i will stop after being told the first time lol
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: small stakes hold \'em: pot odds

erm...i'm not sure either whether your breaking any rules, but i dont see the point of this posting....

If you are trying to learn from the book, perhaps you should try asking questions rather than just copying chunks of the text and posting it.