Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Morongo 2/5 NL has been changed

So I decided to go to Morongo to hit up their 2/5 NL ($100-$300), which has traditionally been a fish tank. I finally get there after 2 hours (according to mapquest I live about an hour away) due to some timely construction being done on a highway which nobody seems to care about or use.
I sit down, drop my $300 on the table, receive my chips, and take a hand. Upon folding...I realize wait a minute... there's about 7 people on the table with hundred dollar bills behind their chips, maybe the average chip stack is about $700-800...I think 'oh [censored]' I accidentally sat down at the $10-20 uncapped game (that game is absolute nuts sometimes, I could probably lose half my whole roll on a bad beat in that game)...then I look around at the blinds, they're still $2 and $5. So it finally hits me...they changed the buy-in structure to $100-Uncapped, hundred dollar bills play.
The game itself was juicy as ever, as I saw one gentleman call a $700 river bet on a Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] board with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but since there's never any justice in poker I couldn't pick up any hands, and watched helplessly as the donkey's stack dwindled, then vanished.
Anybody else think the uncapped structure is a bad idea cause the donks will just lose all their money way faster?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Morongo 2/5 NL has been changed

wow, I think it's better

much much better...uncapped NL is the way to go these days
Old 02-21-2006, 09:18 PM

Wow...

could this be the only uncapped 2/5 NL in the LA area?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow...

could this be the only uncapped 2/5 NL in the LA area?

[/ QUOTE ]

this might draw me down there, but it prob won't

I hate the room and if I'm gonna drive 2.5 hrs from LA might just drive 3.5 to vegas with guaranteed drunks and tourists
Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 PM

This is great news. I do a lot of climbing in J-Tree but have been blowing by the Morongo. I'll have to pay a visit. I definitely prefer uncapped, I feel it gives a good player an advantage while in capped games it hinders a good player.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Anybody else think the uncapped structure is a bad idea cause the donks will just lose all their money way faster?...

[/ QUOTE ]

An UNrestricted game will be better for the good players, like surfin, BUT you're definitely correct about the bad players losing their money too quickly. That's one of the main reasons why SoCal poker rooms weren't able to sustain UNrestricted NL games back in the day. The fish went broke too quickly and the games dried up. (this was obviously way before 2003 and the big NL poker boom)
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else think the uncapped structure is a bad idea cause the donks will just lose all their money way faster?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, uncapped is the way to go, at least in small and mid limit games. High limit could suffer when the popularity wains and it is not so attractive to be playing NLHE.

Most donks are recreational players. A lot of recreational players do not maintain a bankroll, at least not like a serious player does. They spend their extra money on the poker game on the weekends. If they come out ahead, they are generally spending it on something else and not tucking it away to play more poker.

There is a guy that plays in the 5-150 game at CA. He comes every other Friday night, has $600 in his pocket and is there to play. I have seen him make some horible and great plays and build a huge stack (>$2K) and lose it back to the regulars in the game over the next few hours. I have never seen (in over five months of playing with him), him leave with chips.

Five or so years ago, NL was pretty much dead, because of the reason you state, the fish going bust. But today with the numbers of people coming out and playing poker, it becoming socially acceptable in places it never has been before, there is a large pool of players, and they are not going to bust by dropping a grand or two in a small NL no cap game. If they lose, they will be back the next day, weekend, or month to do it all again.