Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 AM

Default JJ out of position

I am attempting to transition from a 18/12 game to a 30/20 game and have started taking a new line for me with JJ and I wanted some comments...

Here is the situation:

Everyone has 100 BB's
I am in middle position and everyone folds to me
I raise to 4BB
Button raises to 15 BB
Everyone else folds

What next?

If the player is a 12/6 type, I fold?
If the player is a 20/15 type, I reraise to 40 BB and if he pushes, I fold?
If the player is a 40/15 type, I reraise to 40 BB and if he pushes, I fold?

Is this standard stuff or is it overly aggressive? What else may go into the decision making process in this situation? What situation would you just call the reraise and play this "passively?"

I hate playing JJ out of position and my thoughts are that I would prefer to know where I am preflop. I would reraise with QQ, KK, AA and AK as well...

Again, I am transitioning my game so any constructive criticism is welcome.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: JJ out of position

I generally call vs most unknowns, even players with the stats above who i personally have no history with.

12/6, you might want to look for a set with odds, otherwise i don't mind the fold.

20/15 and 40/15 i usually just call. I don't like raising to 40 and folding. Even if his range is QQ+ and AK, your equity is 36%, pot odds making it a call.

I've experimented with 4-bet shoving and small 4-bets. Either one i don't like doing with JJ generally. Opps calling range of a 4-bet shove doesn't leave you in good shape. Also, if opp 5-bet shoves over a small 4-bet, do you call with JJ? Yes probably because of pot odds, but do you always know opps range well enough to justify? Raising slightly bigger to commit yourself also isn't good.

For the reasons above, i like to see a flop with JJ as i think it plays ok postflop. Others will probably disagree, and i don't play 30/20 either (more like 20/17)

Forgot to mention, obviously if i know opps 5-bet shove range is big AQ+, maybe 99/TT+ then i will obviously 4-bet
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM

If his range is QQ+/AK then you should probably fold PF. In the other two spots I'm either seeing a flop or 4-betting and CALLING a shove. 4-bet and fold to a shove just lets opponent play well. What is so hard about playing it OOP in a rr pot? You just figure out your opponents hand range, frequencies and then go with your jacks on certain types of flops.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If his range is QQ+/AK then you should probably fold PF. In the other two spots I'm either seeing a flop or 4-betting and CALLING a shove. 4-bet and fold to a shove just lets opponent play well. What is so hard about playing it OOP in a rr pot? You just figure out your opponents hand range, frequencies and then go with your jacks on certain types of flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you call a shove? Would he do it with anything less than QQ+ to AK. If I did the math right, it costs $60 and the EV is $50. I tried to price the reraise so I can get away from it.

If you call, can you give me a standard play if the flop is small cards (bet 3/4 pot and then fold?) or if there is a K on the flop (check/fold to a 3/4 pot bet?) What keys are you looking for to help make a decision?

As I move up my aggression I am getting played back at more than when I was an 18/12 so trying to come up with ways to "fight back."
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM

I don't 4-bet them if they would only shove better hands. That is just terrible. You are costing yourself 40bb to "find out where you are".