Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 04:38 AM

Default $1000 Ladies WSOP AQo hand

This hand is from the $1000 ladies WSOP event. There were 18 players left out of just under 1300. I was short stacked in the BB with about 40K (6K in BB) with blinds 3,000/6,000 and 500 antes. I just got moved to this new table...and did not know much about either of the players involved in the following hand.
Cutoff has about 175K and raises to 25K.The small blind (previous year's champion Mary Jones) goes all in for 100-125K more.

I have AQo.

Would you call or fold?

As a general rule the play in the tourney seemed pretty tight.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Re: $1000 Ladies WSOP AQo hand

This is a pretty clear call. I mean you have less than 7 BB's and an M less than 4. Cutoff could easily have nothing and be stealing, Smile blind could be restealing, have a small pair. I would just put it in and try and triple up and at least have a chance at final tabling.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 AM

i would absolutely call.

by the way, what tables were you at??? i lasted til about 30 from the money, and my tables definitely were not tight. loose and passive generally.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 AM

lol you are forgetting the rule that the players in the womens tourney never raise or reraise without at least QQ. btw yea calling seems right, especially with the big chance of the overlay, although there is a very strange dynamic to this event that I've really never seen in a long time. People simply do not resteal ever, at least from what I saw.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 AM

not ALL of the women are like that, curtains. many are, but certainly not even close to all. and the lady in the small blind won last year. assuming she can actually play, she may be one of the exceptions.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not ALL of the women are like that, curtains. many are, but certainly not even close to all. and the lady in the small blind won last year. assuming she can actually play, she may be one of the exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm just messing around. Her table actually seemed relatively tough. At least half of the players seemed quite solid at this point. However her tables from earlier in the tournament were really absurd, at least the ones I was watching.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol you are forgetting the rule that the players in the womens tourney never raise or reraise without at least QQ. btw yea calling seems right, especially with the big chance of the overlay, although there is a very strange dynamic to this event that I've really never seen in a long time. People simply do not resteal ever, at least from what I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably last year's bracelet winner, who has got this far this year, has to know something about tournament poker and even if she didn't then, she's probably picked up something in the intervening 12 months? From what everyone says about the women's events, this is probably close earlier in the tournament but, in the end game, CO raise, followed by SB shove and you have AQ with 7BBs has to be a call, particularly where SB will almost certainly be no stranger to the concept of restealing.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 AM

is jenium your sister?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 AM

ok i see now that she is. i just looked at your website, jennifer. you seem like one cool chic.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably last year's bracelet winner, who has got this far this year, has to know something about tournament poker and even if she didn't then, she's probably picked up something in the intervening 12 months? From what everyone says about the women's events, this is probably close earlier in the tournament but, in the end game, CO raise, followed by SB shove and you have AQ with 7BBs has to be a call, particularly where SB will almost certainly be no stranger to the concept of restealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

relax relax I was just joking. However last year's champion did tell my sister that she made a terrible call and also went on and on about how hideous the overcall was that was made by JJ.

Note that they both had like 80k+ more than my sister, so there was a huge side pot. So if the overcaller planned on calling if Jenn folded, it's not as though it's completely terrible to call anyway. Also I have to say that it didn't really seem as if she (my sister) had a huge hand by the way she was acting. Considering that she's allin and there is almost no action left that involves her there'd be no reason for her to think for as long as she did, especially as I'm pretty sure she would want the CO to fold even if she had AA. Let's put it this way, I felt that there was almost zero chance my sister had AA-KK at the time.

So okay Jones may have been upset because she just lost all her chips with AA, but her analysis of the hand seemed not so great to me. Also I'm bitter because she told my sister her play was terrible without putting the slightest thought towards it. In all honesty I think the call with JJ was probably correct, at least theoretically. Only reason I'd be a bit worried was the speed and confidence with which Jones moved allin...it just seemed like she wasn't messing around.