Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 AM

Default I\'m still winning but I\'m even more worried

Looking for a little career advice, I posted a few weeks ago wondering if my play was too aggressive, I play NL10 mostly at Party and my stats then were 50+ vpip. Unanimous advice was to tone it down, I am now running at 40 / 25 / 4 over the last 1000 hands. My win rate averages just under 40PTBB/100, slightly up on when I was more aggressive but not a lot. I would say that I have a basic grasp of post flop play, nothing fancy but I don't seem to have any very serious leaks.

I am thinking about a move up to NL25 (I'm more than properly rolled for it), but at the same time I'm thinking maybe this ultra aggression won't wash at that level. I am really trying to tone it down, but its tough when the money pours in like this!

Is it maybe that Party is particularly soft and passive at that level? Anyone have experience of moving up to NL25 and what changes - if any - were needed.

I should maybe add that I took a terrible beat at NL25 about a month ago, 5 BI in a day, which put me off a bit, but I'm starting to feel like Superman now.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: I\'m still winning but I\'m even more worried

If you are worried about moving up, just add 1 table of NL25 to start, then 2 etc.

Your win rates are over very few hands and clearly unsustainable, but killing NL10 for even a few thousand hands suggests you will be pretty comfortable at the higher level.

Poker is not just about hitting the right stats; it's about adjusting to situations. You will find when you move to NL25 that your game will naturally adjust to your opponents play. If they are not so terrible post-flop, you wont be able to push them around so much, so you will realise that you have to play better starting hands, so you will tighten up pre-flop a little.

Lastly, don't worry about the players being better. One thing I have learnt whilst moving up levels is that the regulars are a bit better, but the majority are still pretty bad. I used to always lose a few buyins as soon as I moved up - and realised it was because I was over-adjusting. Just because it's a higher level, does not mean that players are suddenly always making moves. River pushes are still nearly always monsters (well, up to NL100 anyway).

Best of luck
Mack
Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: I\'m still winning but I\'m even more worried

Party NL10 and NL25 are very weak-tight. Raw aggression works there very well, more at NL10, somewhat less at NL25. At NL50 you'll see that pure bullying won't work anymore. So my advice is: move up. Play a few sessions at NL25. See what that does to your winrate. Then make the necessary adjustments. If you're properly rolled, you should not have to look back.