Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 AM

Default OMG OOT NOT AGAIN HELP ME PLS

Ok, so if any of you read my previous thread about living with a crazy roommate, we decided to not live together.

What happened was, a pussy-ass 3rd roommate bailed out on us, so then we were trying to find a 3rd roommate, but noone wanted to live with the crazy nut, so he decided he'd "let me down" by not living with me, which I was actually glad.

So now the room is 2000 a month with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I put up ads on craigslist offering a spot in a room for 550/mo or for the whole room, 1100 a month. So I was thinking, i'd get the people on CL to pay a little more, since I found the room.

So now I realized that one room is about 2 wider than the other room. I wanted the larger room, but I was worried of the new people (who I havent found) to argue that paying 55% of the room for a smaller room is unjust. And I do want them to sign the lease with me, which they would read and see it costs 2000.

So what do I do OOT? Charge less and take the bigger room? Charge more and give them the larger room, or pay the same and I take the smaller room? Or should I just stick to the way it is and be like "[censored] you guys, i found this place, i make the rules", even though I don't want the liability of 2k/mo with only my name on the lease.

Help OOT.

If everything works out, ill do something nice for OOT
Old 06-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: OMG OOT NOT AGAIN HELP ME PLS

Is this your first lease ever?

1. Nobody is going to sign a lease to live in "a spot" in a room for 550 + utilities a month. NOBODY.

2. Nobody is going to pay 50% of the rent for a room half the size of yours and even if they did, they'd never want to sign a lease to do so.

3. Generally speaking nobody wants to sign a lease with a stranger in order to rent a room.

You need to be liable for the whole lease and rent the smaller room out for 30-40% of the rent + utilities if you want to get any serious inquiries.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM

Agree with everything above. Have you ever lived in an apartment? The only way you should ever be asking someone else to pay more is:

a) They get a bigger room.

b) You found a ridiculously cheap, nice apartment in a very expensive neighborhood. Then you might be just in your "finder's fee" theory.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Don't you know anything? Craigslist, schmegslist! What you do is go down to the nearest Home Depot and get 70 Mexicans to live in the smaller room at $30/mo per.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you know anything? Craigslist, schmegslist! What you do is go down to the nearest Home Depot and get 70 Mexicans to live in the smaller room at $30/mo per.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this, they'll each have like five chickens and a goat.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You need to be liable for the whole lease and rent the smaller room out for 30-40% of the rent + utilities if you want to get any serious inquiries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with this. Although, OP, I don't think you should look for roommates on CL. Live with someone you know / trust.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM

create a sub-lease contract.

Include all rents and utility cost for the new person. Therefore you don't have to have any other name on the main lease (they don't know the real total rent) and you have a signed sub-lease contract.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Nobody is going to sign a lease to live in "a spot" in a room for 550 + utilities a month. NOBODY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. This is a fairly standard rate... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. This is a fairly standard rate... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, living in Georgetown everyone would try to do this.

Where do you live? If your location is in high demand, I really do not think it will be a problem. Also, cant you just tell them that you are paying more than you are? I dont really see a problem.

Just to let you know, I also am pretty sure that it is illegal to raise the price on your own for renting out an apartment, if someone else is renting it to you. So be careful.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM