Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis - spinal tap necessary?

I know a couple of ootiots suffer from MS, so I'm posting this as part of my research, hoping someone has first hand knowledge on the subject.

Recently, the Warden experienced some MS-like symptoms (tingling/numbness in the face, confused speech, dropping stuff, clumsiness). She had an MRI that revealed localized demyelination. Blood work is being done today. Her doc wants to do a lumbar puncture. The literature isn't clear about whether the spinal tap is absolutely necessary. I'd prefer not to have her experience that procedure if it's unnecessary. Anyone have first hand experience?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis - spinal tap necessary?

No reliable single laboratory procedure or test can establish the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Several are necessary before a diagnosis can be made.Testing spinal fluid is becoming increasingly important for detecting abnormal proteins, tiny fragments of myelin, or specific white blood cells that can help in making a diagnosis. For example, high levels of the immunoglobulin IgG is useful for making a diagnosis and may be a marker for disease progression. I've talked to my sister who has this dreaded disease and apparently the answer is yes. She's 39 and has been suffering for 11 yrs. and is starting to get pretty bad now but still manages to go to work everyday. Despite losing the sight in one eye, trouble moving her right arm and no feeling and dragging her right leg. She's definitely stronger than I'll ever be.Best of luck to all of you who have MS and may God be with you.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Thanks Simon,

I got in touch with a Ph.D egghead friend who happens to have MS. He agreed that LP is now part of the standard work up. FWIW, this guy has had MS for 20+ years and I never knew it until just last year. I've known him for over 6 years. Best wishes to your sister and family. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM

My wife was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago using only MRI's. She has been on Rebif ever since and has not had any exacerbations since. She does get tired a lot but seems to have it under control. The most important thing is for your wife to get on meds RIGHT AWAY. The only true diagnosis can not be made for a year or so anyway until she can get a second set of MRI's and they can confirm that additional lesions have formed since the initial MRI. I would avoide the Spinal Tap, but every Doctor is different with this disease. Is she still having the exacerbation or have the symptoms gone away? My wife's lasted almost a month and then slowly started to back off.
Best of luck to you both.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM

Here's where I get to feel like a giant ass. She started complaining about tingling/numbness in her face around the end of April. She had stopped taking an SSRI about two months earlier, so I urged her to wait and see. Then a couple weeks later I noticed that she was confusing ordinary words. She called our peas "beans" and called a squirrel a "chipmunk." Not that abnormal, but it continued, especially if she was stressed, like when she's trying to get out the door in the morning. We were away for a wedding two weekends ago and she was very clumsy - moreso than usual - and she confused some more words and still was complaining of the numbness.

So, being the giant ass that I am, I said, "What are you telling me this for, go see the doctor." She did. Then she was refered to a neurologist, had the MRI, had blood drawn today, and the LP is scheduled for next week.

It's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf story with her. She runs to the doc for every ache and pain, so it's hard to tell when something is really the matter. If I ask to see a doc, it means something is very wrong. With her, I just never know.

So yeah, I feel guilty for not taking her seriously at first. Now she says the numbness is gone but I can see the fatigue setting in. She took a 3 hour nap on Sunday and she's been more difficult to wake in the morning, hitting the snooze a dozen times or so.

Meeting with the doc this evening to get more info. Fingers and toes are crossed.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She runs to the doc for every ache and pain, so it's hard to tell when something is really the matter. If I ask to see a doc, it means something is very wrong. With her, I just never know.

So yeah, I feel guilty for not taking her seriously at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilgore,

All experience tells me that this is pretty SOP for men and women, maybe because we're the nurturers. Don't beat yourself up over it. My sincere best wishes to you and your wife.

The Poker Mom
Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 PM

This thread goes to eleven.