Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Default I hate AK (8-16 Ocean\'s 11)

Just some general situations from last night that I struggle with. Suits arent important in any of these hands.

1. Loser calls in EP, I raise, button calls, BB calls

QJ8 flop and its checks around to me. Bet?

2. Lady who seems only midly retarded raises, I three bet in MP and it clears around to her.

She check calls a Q72 flop and checks to me a 9 turn. Bet?

In general I feel like I either have the best hand or good equity in a lot of situations like this but sometimes it becomes a guessing game because many players at this level just call down aggression with even top pair. I struggle with knowing when to slow down basically because in situations like this I usually just keep on firing.

Thanks. Many more hands and questions to come in the future. I consider myself OK at limit but this game in Oceanside is like .50-1 online so I am kinda just jumping right into 8-16 this summer. BTW if anyone was there I was the angry lagtard in the 5 seat with the button down on.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: I hate AK (8-16 Ocean\'s 11)

I take the free card in hand 1 with my GS and overs.

hand 2 I fire one more.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Just a few thoughts from someone who finds himself in your spot all the time, wondering what to do...

Situation 1: Any read on the button who called 2 bets cold? More concerned about him than early position "loser" that could be limping and calling your raise with anything. The board is pretty coordinated which helps you in this case and gives you a good opportunity to semi-bluff to the nut straight or catch an A or K. Seems to me like a clear bet here.

Situation 2: A bit tougher as you are dealing with a preflop raiser that could have hands of comparable strength. It also allows you to more easily put her on a range of hands. What will she raise with preflop?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 PM

1. bet the flop

2. take a free card on the turn

1st hand, you are on a draw to a gut shot with 2 overcards and you have 3 others in the hand...assuming you have the equavalent of 6 clean outs, you need 6outs/48cards=1/6 or 5 bets in for each one you put in on the flop to have fair odds on your bet...you have only 3 callers so you can't get the required odds on this round...but if you bet, are called and make your hand on the turn when the bet valued double, you can get the others extra bets needed to make your 5 to 1 odds for your flop bet, plus you get an overlay with any river bets...that is what you know...

your opponents don't know what you have and they may think you have something stronger--you did bet preflop--and your betting could push some of them out now...also, you may get the button and could then take a free card on the turn if you miss...

finally, your betting here has value in making you less predicatable for when you have a made hand...

thus, you put your oponents in a difficult position by betting plus build the pot for your draw...if you have too few outs, you would not make this play--so its a matter of outs & potential callers in making this play

2nd hand ... your read that the lady is retarded says it all...she will call to the river and you still have not made your hand yet...you may be best now, you may not..but betting will not push her out, so check behind...if you make your hand on the river, then bet, you will be called...retards/fish do not protect their hands enough nor bet their strong draws, so you can play weakish drawing hands cheaply against them...that's their leak
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 PM

1. Bet the flop, take the freebie on the turn if offered and necessary.

2. Fire a second bullet and take a free showdown unless you get more information.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 PM

I bet both.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM

I love AK
Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the free card in hand 1 with my GS and overs.

hand 2 I fire one more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. Not sure why everyone is pretending like a "free turn card" in hand 1 is a slam dunk vs. 3 opponents when hero doesn't have the button?
Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM

I bet the flop on the QJ8 board and the button and one other person called. Turn was the Ac putting two clubs on the board.

I bet again and this time the button raised. The button was fairly new to the table so the only thing I saw him do was limp JTs in EP.

What to do, what to do...
Old 06-03-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the flop on the QJ8 board and the button and one other person called. Turn was the Ac putting two clubs on the board.

I bet again and this time the button raised. The button was fairly new to the table so the only thing I saw him do was limp JTs in EP.

What to do, what to do...

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest calldown ever?