Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Default 50NL AQ family pot

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $49.25</font>
BB: $55.35
UTG: $19.40
MP: $48.33
CO: $126.65
BTN: $8.26

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">Only 30 hands on the non shorty - seems pretty fishy. 50/0/0.3

Confused on flop and turn. Can somone pot their thinking about what to do in different scenarios? e.g. If I check the turn I should call and AI right? If I check the flop do I call/raise etc.

Cheers</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BB calls $2.50, MP calls $2.50, CO calls $2.50, BTN calls $2.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($15) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $10.00</font>, BB folds, MP calls $10.00, CO folds, BTN calls all-in for $5.26

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($40.26) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 All-In)
<font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $36.25</font>, MP folds
Uncalled bet of $36.25 returned to Hero

<font color="black">River:</font> ($40.26) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $40.26
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 50NL AQ family pot

I think you built yourself too big a pot pre-flop. You're out of position with a marginal hand. Complete the blind and see a flop. You're set up for a family pot. Most of the time you miss entirely and can't c-bet. Often you're going to play top pair out of position in a multiway pot. That just isn't the road to riches.

You doom your-self to being all-in when you lead the flop and get a caller. I think you got lucky (or unlucky if he had 6h8h). I think you probably want to check and maybe check raise.

I also think you probably have to fold the turn if you checked and villain shoved. You're getting 2-1 on 8-15 outs. I think you end up calling off your stack well behind most of the time.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM

I think it is fair to assume you have 15 outs on the flop at least some of the time - on average maybe 12. So bet. Turn I dont know. From what little we know villain seems very loose and passive - he might very well call us with a ten. Note that he already called a big bet on a very dangerous looking flop. Villains passive tendencies is good for us though, he will very likely check behind a turn check, or bet too little to deny you odds.

So my advice is to bet flop, check turn and take it from there.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you built yourself too big a pot pre-flop. You're out of position with a marginal hand. Complete the blind and see a flop. You're set up for a family pot. Most of the time you miss entirely and can't c-bet. Often you're going to play top pair out of position in a multiway pot. That just isn't the road to riches.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no...

Hero should absolutely be raising here pre-flop. I actually prefer a raise to $4 since he's OOP and wants to maximize his pre-flop edge, and hopefully get it heads-up.

The rest of the hand looks fine. Hero's fold equity on the turn is good justification to push.

-Andrew
Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM

I really don't like leading the flop. Here's the problem I see TR. Hero isn't just betting into fishy, he's betting into 4 players with an unmade hand. When the MP folds and CO moves in for $50 more, what are you going to do? It will be $36 to call into ~$85 pot. At this point, you've left yourself in a very bad spot and it is much more likely you are drawing to 7-9 outs than 15. You've set yourself up to be put to a hard decision. A lot of times you are going to end up calling with the wrong odds, sucking out and teaching yourself lots of bad habbits.

I really think Hero wants to sit on his hands a bit and be the one to put in the big raise and get a little fold equity to go with his draw.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 PM

Andrew,

I respectfully disagree. AQo isn't much of a hand. It is an awful, awful hand out of position multi-way. You will likely save yourself money in the long run if you in fact fold this hand.

Playing big pots out of position just isn't winning NL poker. Money in NL is made in position.

If you throw in a big raise and take down the dead money pre-flop, that's great. I have no problem with that. Getting into any kind of big pot with that hand, even heads up, should not be your goal.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:06 PM

ActionStan,

You seem to be nice so I'll take the time to explain a little more clearly why you should raise pre-flop w/ AQ in a limped pot:

[ QUOTE ]

AQo isn't much of a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?!! So against several limpers, you think that AQ is not a favorite? You are mistaken. AQ is very strong, especially when nobody else has shown any strength. It will almost always have a solid equity advantage in a limped pot.

[ QUOTE ]
It is an awful, awful hand out of position multi-way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with you only in saying that it is a better heads-up hand then a multi-way hand. This is another argument for raising big...it often gets us in a heads-up pot as opposed to a multi-way one. Still, even if we have several callers, our equity advantage (see above) is still in good shape, and we've already made a theoretical profit by causing our opponents to call a big raise as underdogs.

[ QUOTE ]
You will likely save yourself money in the long run if you in fact fold this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could only be true if you were an absolutely terrible post-flop player.

[ QUOTE ]
Playing big pots out of position just isn't winning NL poker. Money in NL is made in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, money is made by pushing equity advantages. For example, AQ in a limped pot.

[ QUOTE ]
If you throw in a big raise and take down the dead money pre-flop, that's great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is! And this will be the case more often than not. I'm glad you agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Getting into any kind of big pot with that hand, even heads up, should not be your goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what position I'm in if a fish is willing to limp and call a big raise when I have AQ. More often than not, I'm going to take the pot down with a c-bet. Then there are the times I hit my A and stack him cause he can't get away from A7 or whatever. Then there are the times I completely wiff, in which case the hand becomes very easy to play.

I'm sorry, man. I'm not trying to be mean here, but I'm 100% sure that you are using a really bad strategy. All the solid, winning players on here will agree with me. Heck, even check out this post: 6 Max fundamentals for SSNL players . There is an example exactly like this hand towards the middle.

Please try to think this one through a little more carefully. Good luck to you.

-Andrew
Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 PM

ok Id probably NEVER complete here pf id raise everytime, IMO very nitty to just complete...yes playin with position is the nutz but AQ multihanded sucks and we really wanta thin out the field...post flop im not sure, w/ it being 5 handed i dont think we have 15 clean outs maybe 12??? And i dont think we have much FE bettin here OOP on flop so i might just c/c, with the results up (villian foldin turn) makes your play look correct but honestly IMO tough spot and would be much easyer 2 or 3 handed on flop...im very interested to see what people say about this hand
Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 PM

Again, respectfully, I don't buy into everything you are writing. I am fine with attacking weakness. But look at this hand. He ended up all-in and was almost certainly behind the whole way and drew out on the end. His lack of planning got him there. Being out of position got him there. Getting pot-stuck with the worst hand got him there. That just doesn't sound like winning poker to me.

...snip...
Huh?!! So against several limpers, you think that AQ is not a favorite? You are mistaken.
...snip...

I'm not saying you aren't a favorite. But, you aren't a big favorite against anything. AQo just isn't much of a hand and out of position. It's a trap. A big raise with 1 or 2 callers and you set yourself up to have a big part of your stack in the middle when you c-bet. And I'll say it again, it isn't the fish you worry about, it's the cutoff. He's the guy that is going to take the pot away from you. He can put you to the hard decision when the flop come J82 and you c-bet. Are you calling a $20 raise at that point? That's what your setting yourself up for.

...snip....
This could only be true if you were an absolutely terrible post-flop player.
...snip...

I disagree a bit here as well. You are at a natural disadvantage out of position. Unless you are a well above average post flop player (which is, by definition, most players), you just aren't likely to do well in a big pot with this hand over time. If you are a well above average player, be my guest. Otherwise, tread lightly my friend.

...snip...
No, money is made by pushing equity advantages. For example, AQ in a limped pot.
...snip...

Pushing equity advantages is important, for sure. Attacking dead money, great idea. Playing a big pot hand out of position with a starting hand that will generally play better as a small pot hand isn't pressing an equity advantage, it's giving up natural, strucutural advantages. Position is so, so improtant in NL.

...snip...
I don't care what position I'm in if a fish is willing to limp and call a big raise when I have AQ. More often than not, I'm going to take the pot down with a c-bet.
...snip...

If you can get heads up against a fish, then you can play out of position effectively. If you end up heads up with the guy who isn't the fish, floats the flop and takes it away on the turn? Well you just gave away half your stack. Nice work.

In any case, enjoyed the back and forth. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But look at this hand. He ended up all-in and was almost certainly behind the whole way and drew out on the end. His lack of planning got him there. Being out of position got him there. Getting pot-stuck with the worst hand got him there. That just doesn't sound like winning poker to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results orientated clap-trap.
Raising preflop is 100% the right play. If he limped (and still posted the hand), he would have gotten torn to shreds for it.

It's only a family pot only because everyone and their family called his raise (which was too small imo). Again, results orientated clap-trap.

This reeks of "I don't raise KK preflop when a lot of people limp because I just know they'll call and draw out on me."