Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 PM

Default The Official Steve Nash debate thread

It has come to my attention that too many threads get sidetracked debating the value and skill of Steve Nash. In the future, if any thread is about to get sidetracked into a Nash debate please just carry on that conversation here and leave the other thread alone.

In this thread you may debate anything about Nash, Nash's place in history, Nash's current rank among NBA players or PGs, Nash's all time rank among players or PGs, Nash's impact on the Suns, Nash's worthiness of his 2 MVPs, and so on. Have at it.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: The Official Steve Nash debate thread

Nash is very good. But IMO he is overrated on here. Two questions for the fanboys:

1) Why are his defensive liabilities not more of a problem when assessing his overall value?
2) Why is his lack of rings not a problem for people on 2+2 particularly, when that seems to be such a major prerequisite for greatness among almost everyone here?

If people didn't constantly lick his taint around here I'd probably actually like him.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 PM

This is weird, because from reading NBA threads here I always got the impression that most posters on 2+2 actually ripped on Nash, and actually had me thinking he was underrated by 2+2.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nash is very good. But IMO he is overrated on here. Two questions for the fanboys:

1) Why are his defensive liabilities not more of a problem when assessing his overall value?
2) Why is his lack of rings not a problem for people on 2+2 particularly, when that seems to be such a major prerequisite for greatness among almost everyone here?

If people didn't constantly lick his taint around here I'd probably actually like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. They are. If he was a superb defender I would put him in the discussion of greatest of all time alongside Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Duncan, Shaq, Magic, and Bird(forgive if I left a deserving name or two out). But his lack of defense drops him from that into probably the 30th or so best player of all time(#30 is just totally off the top of my head, please don't take that too literally and start to debate it).

2. This is the third year in which Steve has had a team/system built around him and his abilities. And in both of the first two years there have been major injuries around his team at crucial times. Rest assured, however, that if Nash never wins a title that will most definitely hurt his legacy and be a big negative when comparing him to other players who did win titles.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 PM

if nash was a great defender he would be on jordan's level? That can't be a serious reply.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is weird, because from reading NBA threads here I always got the impression that most posters on 2+2 actually ripped on Nash, and actually had me thinking he was underrated by 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was firmly entrenched in the "Nash is overrated" camp until I started posting in SE. Almost every prominent SE poster hates on Nash hardcore.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM

I still think Assani overrates the hell out of him though. His peak is freakish, but when you're entering "all time great" territory, you need to sustain that for over 3 years.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 PM

Nash gets too much credit for improving his teammates
Since most people don't adjust for pace his stats appear better than he is.
He cannot be ranked as an all time great because his peak is so short lived.
He is a mediocre defender
He wasn't a two time MVP
He is fun as hell to watch
He is overrated by the average fan.
He is probably slightly underrated in SE, although given the tone of most Nash Haters that it appears that he is underrated more than he actually is.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Why can't it just be said that Nash is wonderful player to watch and plays a really enjoyable type of basketball coming out of a few years of low scoring teams dominating when really people don't enjoy watching 80-70 games.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He wasn't a two time MVP

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I was pretty outspoken against both his awards, but I really don't hate the first one he got. I don't think he was the MVP by any means, but there really wasn't a clear cut guy anyway. I thought AI deserved it. Shaq was a popular choice, but it wasn't really an insane year by him. It's not really the right pick, but it's one of those times where I'm like, "whatever".

Now his second one.. huge LOL. Lebron's year was insane.