Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Another flopped set, $540 Venetian

I apologize if these hands aren't very interesting, but I have like... very little live experience and very little deepstack experience so I'm trying to work on my game... and fast.

Right ater first break I raised to 700 from CO with 66 and SB calls.

Flop comes 64A rainbow. SB checks. I check.

Turn is K and brings flush draw.

SB checks I fire 1200, he minraises. I call.

River Q, no flush. SB bets 2k, I hesitate for a while and then push. SB goes into tank, eventually calls I have him well covered, I show and he mucks what I assume to be Ax.

I'm not sure how much he had exactly, I want to say it was about 10k though, maybe 11k I think he had to call 6-ish more on the river?

This hand I thought was really standard actually, and this hand happened before the 57s hand I posted which I think gave me a good image to make the move I did in the 57s hand.

EDIT to add reads:

Ummm... I don't really have that great of a read on this guy to be honest, he's been at the table the entire time but hasn't been really active or anything, I've definitely been the most active at the table and mucked a couple times on the river, so I guess that's actually relevant for the 57s hand that I did muck I think twice with pretty much [censored] on the river, although I guess the table doesn't know I didn't have anything good since the people at my table always showed their winners without me showing my hand, even though I was the aggressor... Whateva, helped my image...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Another flopped set, $540 Venetian

bet the flop you get stacks in way easier with out having to put in a strong looking raise. I don't mind the turn/river combo a bit shorter where they feel commited on riv.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:34 AM

C-bet flop, you need to try to build the pot with deep stacks. If he doesn't have an A then you prolly won't make any money anyway. Turn and river seem fine.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C-bet flop, you need to try to build the pot with deep stacks. If he doesn't have an A then you prolly won't make any money anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. make sure you get paid off in full when he has a hand
Old 06-02-2007, 09:01 AM

Better to post blinds, antes, and stack sizes, although it doesn't matter much here.

What is the point of slow playing with an ace high flop? If he doesn't have an ace or a set of 4s, what is he going to catch that gives action? Basic rule is that you don't slowplay if the flop is ace high or has a lot of draws.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 AM

Bet the flop. You are making it way too easy for him to play a small pot out of position with his Ace rag or whatever, which is exactly what he should want. You're lucky he made life easy on you by making a pointless checkraise and probably a ridiculous river call.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 AM

The reason was I was being pretty active and this guy had previously folded to a lot of my c-bets, which I obviously didn't want here. If I double or triple barrel he can get away from ace rag. If I make him think I missed the flop, I can get him to pay me off with ace rag.

That was my thinking at the time anyway, because if I keep betting, especially when a K and Q come out, it makes it soooo much easier for him to get away, but if I took the passive line on the flop I felt I could stack him easier.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason was I was being pretty active and this guy had previously folded to a lot of my c-bets, which I obviously didn't want here. If I double or triple barrel he can get away from ace rag. If I make him think I missed the flop, I can get him to pay me off with ace rag.

That was my thinking at the time anyway, because if I keep betting, especially when a K and Q come out, it makes it soooo much easier for him to get away, but if I took the passive line on the flop I felt I could stack him easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

you didn't want to cbet because you'd been active and he'd been folding to your cbets? are you joking? that's a GREAT reason to bet the flop.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 PM

It can be a great reason, but it can be a bad reason too. I wasn't c-betting every-time obviously, but there were hands where I had checked through flop and fired later streets and come out the loser, so I felt like if I checked through flop I could make him think that I whiffed. Then he thinks he's pulling a fast one on me by check-raising the turn.

It worked out extremely well obviously in this situation, but I'm not sure if it was the correct play. I kind of wish I knew what he had so I would've known if I could stack him playing it different, but I'm pretty positive he had a weak, weak Ace and was probably convinced to call me because of my flop check and fire on the K turn.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:15 PM

I think your play was perfect IF you didnt always c-bet the flop all the time in previous hands. In tournies you have to let people catch up to you a little bit on a board like that + it disguises your hand. May as well slowplay the flop and pray the turn helps his hand(a little, hopefully he doesnt get a higher set or something but thats a risk you should take)

The only problem IMO is that you built up this image that you always c-bet the flop, most likely with alot of air. So why all of a sudden change it up? If I were villian I would have been suspicious.