Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 AM

Default 50NL tptk vs. a shortstack

Villain is new to table. Only read is that he bought in short, so he's probably not that great.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $34.40
BB: $28.15
UTG: $50.00
MP: $27.55
CO: $113.20
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $50.00</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, MP checks, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, 2 folds, MP calls $2.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($5.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $9.00</font>, MP calls $7.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($23.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $16.50</font>

The common situation I've been running into is that at 25nl it was highly profitable to just never respect shortstacks. They were shoving with junk hands so often that calling them down light/putting them in light was very profitable. At 50NL, they're much smarter, and need to be handled with a bit more care. They still take stupid lines, but their stupidity serves to mask their holdings and frustrate my handreading, and with short effective stacks it makes it hard to treat the situation as anything but range vs. range, which for some reason seems more difficult at these stakes for me.

On the flop, his donkbet could mean a pair, air, or a draw. This is a drawy flop but a raise pretty much commits us to felting this hand, are we ahead enough against his range to be trying to get it in here?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: 50NL tptk vs. a shortstack

is that enough to put him all-in? if its not it should be, it looks like it is.

I really hate this against an unknown, I don't see this being much of a value spot and I dont think I would raise this flop vs an unknown. I'd fold the turn too, I dont think you have any FE and you cant play a hand this weak for value.

Get some reads first!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 AM

If you are treating this as range versus range, well you are going to have some issues given that you have no stats and no reads, see what I mean... and given that he is so short and the pot is so big, you are going to have to show this hand down if you dont want to fold. What hand do you think you are going to see at the end of the day?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 AM

You seriously wouldn't raise this flop with TPTK against an unknown half-stack? why?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seriously wouldn't raise this flop with TPTK against an unknown half-stack? why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is unknown and in the absence of any other information I dont like to assume that he is bad enough to lead into a preflop raiser with less than TPTK or an overpair.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is unknown and in the absence of any other information I dont like to assume that he is bad enough to lead into a preflop raiser with less than TPTK or an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you played 50NL on stars recently? Most shortstacks make these minidonkbets with a wiiiiiide range of hands, some of them pretty much do it on any rag flop they think missed PFR. Folding TPTK to a shortstack just because he made a 1/3 PSB is soooo weak.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I mean, fo reals?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I mean, fo reals?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I once raised a donks donkbet with tptk and he had a set. Boy did I feel stupid. Never doing that again. Your average shortstacker is a notorious set-miner. I would fold AA on this flop as well.

Obviously try to get it in. Super easy turn push.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 AM

Wow interesting advice ama.

TPTK/overpair would be a small part of a donkbet's range for me. I would usually automatically assume I was ahead of his range here. That said, like Bates, I think I've been giving shorties too much action at $50.

This hand is a bit tough - he's got $30 so he's not mega-short. I think OP's line is pretty standard, but it becomes pretty meh by the time you put him AI.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:37 AM

$27 /= shortstack