Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 PM

Default R.I.P. Curt Gowdy

A great broadcaster
Old 02-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: R.I.P. Curt Gowdy

Gowdy was one of the giants in his profession. Most 2+2ers are probably too young to remember him but he was simply a great announcer who let the action on the field speak for itself. He was the signature voice for NBC on its coverage of the AFL during the sixties.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 PM

Hadn't heard this.
Gowdy was definitely one of the greats.

He also called Super Bowl 3 on NBC with Joe Namath fulfilling his famous 'guarantee' and really changing the face of football forever imo.

Chris Schenkel a few months ago and now Gowdy. A couple of announcers WAY up there on the all-time respect ladder.

And, I hate to say it, but a couple of REALLY significant baseball broadcast pioneers are getting up there in age as well (thinking of Ernie Harwell and Vin Scully).
Old 02-20-2006, 08:24 PM

Called 13 World Series as well. 14 if you count this one:

I am too young to remember him but I enjoyed watching him on ESPN Classic and such. RIP.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Just heard NPR do a story on him. He was the BoSox announcer for 16 yeras, and was famous for hanging out with the players in their free time - particularly Ted Williams. You don't see that at all today.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 AM

Always enjoyed him. He was folksy but professional. A good guy too. RIP indeed.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just heard NPR do a story on him. He was the BoSox announcer for 16 yeras, and was famous for hanging out with the players in their free time - particularly Ted Williams. You don't see that at all today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great Dick Enberg story about Gowdy today. When Williams hit a homerun in his last game only Gowdy knew. The Red Sox still had a three game series left in Washington. But Gowdy was Williams's fishing buddy and Williams told him before the game that he wasn't going to Washington and this would be his last game as a Red Sock. Then Gowdy sets it up and does the call of Ted Williams hitting a homerun in his final at-bat with all of press row in amazment.

Gowdy was an absolute monster. He was the first broadcaster to start injecting humor and fun into the broadcasts and really balanced it out well. Excited at the right times, funny and entertaining at the right times. So many of his great broadcasts are only a memory though thanks to the NBC erasing machine. Too bad the man was really great. And would be a great learning tool to those who can't seem to figure it out today.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:16 PM

When the news came out, they showed the clip of Ted William's last at bat homerun with Gowdy's call. It was really weird seeing a near empty Fenway Park.

My brother who is the Chief Probation Officer in a court here in central Massachusetts had an encounter with Curt Gowdy about 25 years ago. Mr. Gowdy got a speeding ticket and for whatever reason had to go to my brother's court. He asked my brother where he was supposed to go and my brother asked him his name to look up the case. Curt Gowdy simply responded "Gowdy" and didn't try to get any special treatment. I always liked that about him.