Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 PM

Default $6 NLTRN, top pair vs semi-tight player

so far villain has been a bit different from the regulars im used to (which are quite passive). Villain has been raising a small percentage preflop, ill say about 20%, ive called about half of them. i have been raising preflop probably about 35% and cbet usually without much of a problem(FWIW). villain seems to, from what ive seen, lead out when he has hit/or is strong, and basically check/fold when weak, even if he raised preflop. Hand #1 is just in reference to what im talking about, Hand #2 i would like some input on.

Hand #1
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1195)
Hero (t1805)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t180) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

Turn: (t420) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t180</font>, Hero calls t180.

River: (t780) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t240</font>, Hero calls t240.

Final Pot: t1260

BB has 8s Qs (three of a kind, queens).
Hero has 7d 7c (two pair, queens and sevens).
Outcome: BB wins t1260.

--
Hand #2

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1475)
Hero (t1525)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t150</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t700) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t450</font>, Hero??
Old 05-28-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: $6 NLTRN, top pair vs semi-tight player

This is a fold imo, even though he didn't VB Tp in the hand before. I don't think Villain is even representing here most times.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 AM

based on your read, i would fold
Old 05-28-2007, 04:10 AM

Probably fold here.

On hand one you should raise to 125 preflop and lead out for 125-150. Risk less against a tight/weak player like this.

If he's raising roughly 20% of hands, figure out how many of those hands have an ace in them, and how often is he betting an ace flop. If he's really checking with non aces on ace flops a decent % of the time this is a fairly easy fold, as you only beat 3 aces. It's also more likely he's raising the higher aces as well, though slightly less likely he has a higher ace because of the board being all overs, those two probably cancel each other out and you can just figure you're beat here way too much to call that turn (unless he bets every ace flop, then it's a lot closer but possibly still a fold).
Old 05-28-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On hand one you should raise to 125 preflop and lead out for 125-150. Risk less against a tight/weak player like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Is this advice toward me? because I wasn't the orignal raiser/button. I'm the BB and called the raise preflop...And are you suggesting leading flop? Clarification please.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 PM

I would play it this way, if you think your read on him is pretty good, and to try to keep the pot small, maybe bet the flop 200 and see how he feels about his hand, he could have alot of pocketpairs,or just 2 high cards anad might fold. If he raises you can fold, or if he calls, i would check the turn and try to get to the river cheap. The problem just calling the flop, is also the turn more money is going in, and you haven't tested the strength of his hand at all..

but i just started playing HU, so i have no idea what im talking about,lol
Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 AM

Wow, sorry, I totally misread hand 1. My bad, ignore all I said about it.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, sorry, I totally misread hand 1. My bad, ignore all I said about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, ok, no problem. but the hand i really am looking for input on is hand #2 anyways. Suggestions? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]