Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Cuban cigars

I was discussing investments with a few friends and one guy said to invest in Cuban cigars as some trade barrier may end and thus there will be a huge demand from americans to buy cuban cigars, however supply will still be limited as it takes ages to make them.

any thoughts?

ps reason ive gone from posting to lurking this forum as other than a $10K tax free emerging markets fund, $8k in a gold ETF and $14K in a few mining companies, I now just put all my money and winnings into a savings account. The main reason why this has become a preferred otion is that i set up a new account with monthly rather than annual interest so i feel i actually get a return much sooner.

gl all.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Cuban cigars

I know nothing about this topic, but just to clarify, does this mean you aren't in the US?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I think he's in the UK.

John Kane, I'm not 100% sure about this, but wouldn't cigars expire after some amount of time? Or at least they'd get drier. Sure, that's what humidifiers are for, but they won't preserve them forever. It's not like investing in gold or something.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Yep I am from the UK, London to be relatively precise. Although i almost always post my amounts in $ as that's what everyone is used to. Dazareth, that is a problem I think as I doubt they can be kept for ages however the consensus is that with Castro gone the likelyhood is something would happen sooner rather than later. also, so long as you are a cigar smoker yourself, you could just smoke them anyway if nothing happened [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2007, 06:54 PM

I think the big problem is that the timeframe you're looking at for the embargo to be lifted is much larger than the timeframe that cigars will last. I'm probably not the most qualified person to be saying that, but that's my guess. Also, it'd be sad to smoke your own investment. =/