Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Default NL100 I just dont know how to play.

I have not been playing much full ring cashgames(or 6-max) in a while so im really lost in some spots.

Heres one:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($98)
MP1 ($104)
MP2 ($90.50)
CO ($159.80)
Button ($95.05)
SB ($51.80)
Hero ($100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($8.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($20.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: ($20.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $35.50

I think this was one of my first hands at this table, so this is readless.
How bad did i play it?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: NL100 I just dont know how to play.

I like a flop c/r. Villain will CB a lot here and you are surely ahead of his range. He can have a 6 outer, top pair, lower pair etc. on this flop (as well as a hand that beats you). I wouldn't mind a flop call if there were fewer scare cards that could come, but in this case you will have no idea where you stand if an Ace, King or Queen turns.

As played, I like a river bet/fold.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:55 PM

General: Your play is WAY too passive.

PF: Re-raise to 12 in most cases - though smooth call is okay sometimes too here.

Flop: Either lead here with a pot sized bet, or check - raise. As played his bet looks like a C bet - but you don't know because you are playing passively.

I lead with bet 8 here - if he calls, re-eval on turn. If he raises, you are most likely dead.

Turn: Bad card for you, which is why you want to pick this up on the flop. If you lead flop, check here is okay. But you are playing so passively you don't know where you stand. I may want to block bet here in many cases.

River: All other streets have been so misplayed that you now are clueless as to what is going on. If you were planning on being so passive, you might as well have folded PF.

AB
Old 05-27-2007, 06:36 PM

i think you played this fine.

i might actually lead out on turn despite the king. problem with this line is that you never know what a river bet means. with that spade coming, its probably right to fold though.

oh, one more thing i forgot. i would do it different on the flop. here's my reason: as the flop is, your hand is fine. but there are 3 overcards that could come on turn or river, making it difficult. difficult is frustrating. so i just go the easy way and raise the flop. if he doesn't have anything, oh well, you would only get value out of him if he hit a card anyway, and you don't want him to hit a higher card.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:39 PM

c/r the flop is pretty bad, everything you beat folds and only better hands call (for the most part). Personally I 3 bet here almost always and take it from there.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM

the check call on the flop is the biggest mistake. I would have reraised pre flop as well, but on the flop you really have to define you hand, and/or figure what youre up against. Because of the ch/call you have no idea where youre at. The check on the turn and river is the only thing you can do really after your flop play.

Say you reraised preflop- if he folded you win, if he calls then you figure youre ahead, if he reraises then you know youre up against AA KK or QQ.

If you bet or ch/raise on the flop, and get called you can narrow what youre against again.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r the flop is pretty bad, everything you beat folds and only better hands call (for the most part).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are in this situation on the flop (i.e you call from the blinds)- do you bet into the pfr, or check/call? If you bet, it seems to me that worse hands fold/better call or raise, just as with the c/r. Yet if you c/r, you at least get a CB from him (I am assuming that Hero is winning on this flop &gt;50% of the time).

Getting the balance between avoiding letting a worse hand fold and protecting from a likely 6 out draw, is something that I struggle with. Any pointers? With JJ here, I am happy to take it down or find out that I am in trouble; as opposed to keeping a likely AK or AQ in the pot and having to make difficult decisions for more $$ later in the hand if an over comes.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:26 PM

I like to re raise this pre flop too based on my prior reads on my opponent a lil bigger since im playing the hand OOP. If he is real nitty and has a small pre flop % i might just smooth call and look for a good flop. As played you never know really where you stand in the hand and basically playing a strong hand for set value. Check calling the flop doesnt give you any information on villians hand. The turn card sucks because AK just got there. Since you just called i would prob lead out at this flop and play the hand from there
Old 05-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Wow, this is bad on like every street except maybe turn. 3bet and CC are good to mix up preflop. Flop is either a lead or a c/r, there are merits for both and I will take both lines fairly often. I probably b/f the turn here a lot of the time, but I never really get there this way so I'm not sure if thats a great line here. On the river I think you need to call. He could be value betting any 10 or also bluffing with basically anything. You have good showdown value so look him up.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:25 PM

I really don't mind I call in the big blind here as you do have to play the hand out of position for the rest of the hand, but I think when a flop like that comes you have to lead out. I like a 3/4 pot sized bet and if you get raised you have to re-evaluate.