Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Hitting a Right to Right shot

When my swing really starts to degrade i tend to start hitting a big push with a small ammt of slice. It feels as tho im getting stuck somewhere and nothing i do midround seems to really fix it. It manifests itself almost exclusively with the driver. The other strange aspect is that this seems to popup a lot when i have a good range session before the round with my driver. Any help as to the root/cure for this would be much appreciated.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Hitting a Right to Right shot

You're just not releasing the club properly. Feel like the back of your left wrist (if you're RH) is rotating towards the ground when you're coming through the ball.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Grip slightly tighter with your right hand which should help you square the clubface more, as you're obviously still leaving it wide open at impact.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM

I gotta ask you guys a question about this. My last teacher taught me to keep the club face square to square while the teacher before that taught me to basically open the clubface a bit on the way back and shut it on the way down. While i am more consistant with method #1 i lose a lot of distance also. Advice?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:22 PM

the teacher telling you to keep it square wants you to have a body swing, thats what I'm working on switching to. Its much more consistent and all of your power comes from your core (abs,back,chest). I've lost some distance, but once my core becomes stronger it'll be much more consistent with equal distance.

A larger majority of pros have a body swing, once you're properly taught it and start to get it down you realize how much more consistent/simple it is.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta ask you guys a question about this. My last teacher taught me to keep the club face square to square while the teacher before that taught me to basically open the clubface a bit on the way back and shut it on the way down. While i am more consistant with method #1 i lose a lot of distance also. Advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like that idea at all. Too much manipulation going on and impossible to stay consistent. I don't see why that would give you more distance either [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As was said the square to square method is trying to use your upper body to swing the club. Try this - Address the ball, and press the back of your arms to your chest. Now slowly rotate your shoulders around your spine for a backswing without moving your arms, wrists or hands. Just let them move because they are attached to your chest. Then rotate back to the ball. The clubface will be square without you having to move your arms, wrists or hands. This is more like a pro swing and is much more consistent.

Practicing this motion using a half swing will get you the correct feeling. Watch some pros on TV, they often do this half swing move on short chips, their arms don't leave the position on their chest.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:02 AM

a good drill to feel what esad is explaining is put a glove up your left arm pit. Swing with out letting the glove fall out until you've hit the ball.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Tension often is a big factor in this problem.

If you feel(fear) this coming on, relax.
Take a deep breath.
Slow down.
Imagine a perfect drive.
Squeeze your hands tight, then release.
Consider a 3 wood.
Lighter grip pressure.
At address, raise your hands an inch.

You don't have to do all this, just learn to recognize when the tendency is there, what the culprit is, and what will help.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 PM

If your ball flight gets higher when this happens you may do what I do which is clearing your hips too soon which gets your arms stuck behind, resulting in an open clubface. When I do this I really feel it in my follow through. It feels just like what is actually happening; your lower body finishes much sooner than your upper body. To combat this I actively try to restrict hip turn in my backswing.