Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 AM

Default NL 100: facing strength on flop with flush draw and 2 overs

My first hand at the table so no image, villian is 39/9.8/1.7 only over 30 hands.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $42.45
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $100.00</font>
UTG: $109.10
UTG+1: $34.75
MP1: $31.35
MP2: $63.20
MP3: $146.00
CO: $152.00
BTN: $55.90

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
6 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $2.00</font>, SB calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.00</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $14.00</font>,

obv im not folding but if i only flat call and a brick hits the turn im kinda stuck, i shoved fwiw but someone tell me if thats a leak cuz i do it a lot
Old 05-24-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: NL 100: facing strength on flop with flush draw and 2 overs

I estimate you have 10 outs on each of the next 2 streets (9 for the FD and 1 for the overs and the back door straight combined discounted by the possibilty tha villain holds a set, a nut flush draw or hits a fh wit 2p.

It is 7 more for 28 So, pot odds are there to call but they are thin.

I think calling sucks here because most of the time you won't know how to continue if you call. If you were OOP you could try a stop-and-go.

I think all-in is the easiest and the best move here. If you are called the move will also help your image.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 AM

I've been thinking about these types of hands for a while, and,unfortunately, I don't have much to add at this point. The only thing I keep thinking about here is that we have very little folding equity here imo. SB is liking his hand a lot I would say...unless maybe he looks at our raise as a way to get the button out and sees that as some weakness...idk. Just when someone 3 bets, I think they're in the hand. The other thing I think about in this situation is that when we push, we rid ourselves of a positional advantage. I'm not even good enough to know how to use position well enough here, but that has to be some consideration.

Can I hear your thoughts on why you raised the flop anyway? I think we need to be ready to respond to a raise when we raise the flop.

I'm thinking about a call on the flop, but his bet is so small, that lets the button hop in too. If we raise him out, we very well may clean up some overcard outs if he has something like AK, AQ or whatever.

If we just call the raise, perhaps that makes him squirm a bit on the turn and we could get a free card..idk. I get we would need a read for that and 30 hands is nothing. I'm just trying to think of ways that we could use our position to our advantage instead of eliminating that advantage by shoving...
Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 AM

He is never ever folding the push, let's face it, and you are pretty much bound to get paid off if you hit given how little he has left (not to mention how donkish he is). In these spots where you are as good as certain he will not fold and you are sure he is ahead then calling is better because he may not push the turn. Look how he bets so small, he may make a mini bet or something on the turn so you save whatever he has left if you miss and are not losing any pay-off if you hit.

You don't really lose much by pushing though and there is always the tiny chance he has a weaker draw.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 AM

CopThis: Do you like the flop raise and raise amount? If so, why?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Personally, with the PF min-raiser still to act I'd usually just call the flop bet see what the button does but raising is fine too. You can't get too dogmatic about villians like these though - they are both short and have both made donk plays on the same hand. You need to pick up quickly what donk-leads mean. Some auto-fold if you raise and they just lead because they want to see some more cards or else have a small pair etc, and others just don't fold to a raise ever.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM

This one all comes down to math, which I can't do for you.

How many clean outs do you have? I do not think SB is folding. SB is very fond of his hand and seems to want the money in the middle.

Personally, I would not push. I might call, which will probably get flamed, so suit on.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Your draw is not to the nuts.

If he has bigger flush draw you only have 6 outs.
If he has a set you only have 8 outs.

Either way, his stack size is awkward here and I don't mind a push. If he was deeper, I would just call here.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Calling $7 into a $28 pot with the second nut draw and a fishing donk rasier seems pretty standard to me. I see no reason to push because the only hand we have a chance of folding is a worse draw, if that.

Why did we not take one off on the flop for a dollar? Villain is not deep, we have a big draw and the PFR could have been check raising.

GS
Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM

meh, both shoving the flop and just calling the minraise then folding to a PSB on a blank turn are fine.