Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Swing keys.

Since the golf swing can be very complicated, I try to keep one or two thoughts in my head while standing over the ball. My most common swing flaw is a sway and consequent rerouting of the club through impact. The result is a loss of distance, but I can fight through and still score okay. I hate it though and my handicap is now a 9.

I had been struggling for several rounds when I came across the following advice...

A common fault is the straightening or locking of the right knee during the backswing or downswing. This is a natural reaction created by trying to hit the ball instead of swinging.

By keeping the right knee braced and flexed going back, the left side will lead the downswing in the correct sequence, uncoiling at top speed at impact. The longer the knees remain flexed in the forward swing, the longer the club stays on the target line, adding more distance and control to shots.

I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten this has been a problem for me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. So as I stood over the ball today all I kept thinking was keep that right knee flexed and it was like a magic cure. Everything else was falling into place. Ahhhh. Golf is fun again.

I ask you what are your swing keys? What are your thoughts over the ball? Do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Swing keys.

[ QUOTE ]
I ask you what are your swing keys?

[/ QUOTE ] I always have tempo thoughts. I have a tendency to get too quick sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts over the ball?

[/ QUOTE ] Normally it is just visualizing a shot. Any other thoughts and I'm probably going to mishit in someway.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?

[/ QUOTE ] Always a great question to ask someone when you want to get inside their head.

by the way I inhale on the backswing and exhale with the uncoiling of the swing.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ask you what are your swing keys? What are your thoughts over the ball? Do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just ruined my golf swing.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 PM

but the golf swing has about 24 different parts, each with 12-15 variations.....i just try to hit the ball in the direction of the flag
Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 AM

Pretty good tip. Maybe this is why I top the ball often enough for it to impact my game. Random people tell me I'm "lifting up" on my downswing, I never really payed attention to my knee's angle.

I always exhale on my downswing. Inhale while going back (or hold it). If golf is anything like martial arts you'll want to be breathing out to maximize power.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good tip. Maybe this is why I top the ball often enough for it to impact my game. Random people tell me I'm "lifting up" on my downswing, I never really payed attention to my knee's angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be making a reverse pivot.