Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Flopped a teenie-tiny flush

Stars Sunday Bazzillion.

First time playing in this particular tournament. My buddy was also playing, and I was watching his table. I had observed that my table was playing quite aggressively (compared to what i've seen), and especially so when compared to the action on my friend's table. Villian (in LP) had been involved in several large pots, and had been pretty aggressive. I had only played 2 pots from out of the blinds thus far due to cold cards.

My stack: 6700
Relevant opponents: 10-15k

150/300 blinds, level 3, 9-handed. I am dealt 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB.

MP limps, CO limps, button limps, Hero completes, BB checks. (5 handed)

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks (with the intention of shoving to any resonably sized bet), BB min-bets 300, fold, CO calls, fold, Hero...?

...has 6400 left and makes it 1500 more. With this low a chipstack I did not want to risk having to re-evaluate against 2 opponents if a 4th club hit. Obviously I'm calling or shoving a 3-bet here, but if simply called I might get away if a 4th club hits turn.

Is my check-raise line good here given my tight image? I figured leading out would most likely kill my action, and it was almost certainly not going to be checked around. Coming back as only 300 more, can any arguement be made for smooth calling ( [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ), or an oversized shove?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Flopped a teenie-tiny flush

Crap, I suck. Mods - please move to MTT strat...
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 AM

Bump. Just once.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 AM

i don't hate it

shoving isn't terrible either

flat calling would be awful
Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 AM

I think you played it just fine....I would be a little concerned about CO villian who merely called the 300 bet. Smells like a slowplay to me, but your not going to ditch the baby flush on the flop, especially with your smallish stack. I just don't see which hand he would call with there. With any kind of high club he prob puts in a raise in the response to the weak bet, and he would prob raise with a set to protect and a jack to gain info. Two pair is unlikely, but would prob warrent a raise too.
Personally, I feel as though the flop play is pretty standard. I would like to know what peeled off on the turn and your resulting decision...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't hate it

shoving isn't terrible either

flat calling would be awful

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a different raise size you might suggest and why?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 AM

I'm sensing that this small bet is a blocking bet intended to set a cheap price to see the next card. It's very likely that villain has a flush draw here and you flat calling in this situation is absolutely atrocious. I probably put out a large flop raise and shove on any non-club turn. You'll have about a third of your stack in on the flop if you raise on the flop, so you might as well get it in on the turn.