Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Theory: 3-betting from the blinds

Suppose there is someone in the CO or on the button who steals a lot (attempt to steal ~40%). They will always call a ~pot sized 3bet. Post flop they tend to play pretty tricky in reraised pots (lots of floating and raising etc).

They open and it folds to you in the BB. Based on your reads, do you 3 bet with a wider range or a tighter range?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Theory: 3-betting from the blinds

We often make 3-bet preflop plays often without monsters (JJ+, AK) in order to extract value from an otherwise loose stealer stealing with perhaps aces and kings with only decent kickers, etc. If he is going to be calling frequently against us when we are out of position, I would tend to 3bet tighter, and in those cases make the raise slightly larger than pot size.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 AM

I would probably 3-bet light as usual but try full potting a c-bet to see if he still calls a few times, and if so, I would tighten up and full pot it with made hands. Also moving seats to immediately after him is not bad since he has position only once per orbit =)
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 AM

I have grown to hate 3-betting from the blinds in the current climate. Pouring money into the pot OOP is just a recipe for disaster.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM

I think there are good argument for either side. He has a wider calling range, so we should be able to raise a wider range for value. OTOH, if we 3bet a lot, then we end up in a lot of marginal spots OOP where we may get outplayed post flop. So maybe it is better to 3bet a tighter range. But then we end up letting him steal a lot and we don't really exploit the fact that he will call with such a wide range pf.