Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Riding a train accross the state

So I was stuck at a railroad crossing yesterday watching this train go by. It seemed to take forever, I think that I was stopped for about 15 minutes just watching the train go by. This is not the worst part, the worst part is that I got stopped by the same train at 3 different crossings on the way home [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]!!! While at the third stop watching the same damn train I realized how slow it was going, and thought that it would be cool to jump on and take a ride across the state. Obvoiusly I didn't, but the thought crossed my mind. I went home and followed the rail line via map quest to see where it ended, it ends about 6 hours away by car. So my question is, should I take a train ride some day? And what laws would I break taking this trip? And what will be the results of those broken laws? My brother has already agreed to come pick me up if I take this trip and I will post a trip report w pics if I go.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Riding a train accross the state

Old 05-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Dress appropriately.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM

My advice: Move out of the 1890's
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM

WTF why are people discouraging him?

Trains in the US have a tendency to be ridiculously long and go ridic slow. When I lived there I had to walk across a railroad to get to school, and I've often contemplated to just climb through the damn thing. Never had the balls to follow up with it though.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Eh, why not? It might be fun. Would you be doing it in an area that is especially scenic?

All you need to know about train hopping.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM

No, it would be through the middle of Michigan so not real scenic. But I thought that it would just be something fun to do on day. Thanks for the link, I will be checking it out shortly.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it would be through the middle of Michigan so not real scenic. But I thought that it would just be something fun to do on day. Thanks for the link, I will be checking it out shortly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest fear for you came true. I'm in GR and all I could think was that it would be a lot cooler to do it out west.

It sure is a pisser when those mother [censored] stop and back up and hold you up for 20 minutes. IIRC, the mayor of Detroit made them stop that [censored] a few years ago. The trains had to totally reschedule so as to not aggravate an already miserable rush hour commute.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM

I hopped a train once for about half a mile. They used to go through my town all the time and there was some law that they had to slow way the hell down so it was easy to just hop on and off.

It's really loud and windy and bumpy. Wouldn't be fun long distance I don't think. They also just randomly stop for long periods of time.

Also remember the story a while ago where some kids were climbing around on a train and electrocuted themselves or something.

OTOH nice train tickets are just ridic expensive these days.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:19 PM

I agree, it would be really cool if it was out west, but alas it isn't. And actually, its is the CSX line that ends in Grand Rapids. I would be getting on in Northville and it would travel through East Lansing. It also travels through 7 or 8 smaller cities, so I would assume that it would slow down for these cites (seeing that the tracks run right though the city). So I could agrueably get off sooner than Grand Rapids.