Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Poker Tracker in micro limits

I'm currently at a, what some of you may deem silly, delimma as to whether or not to purchase poker tracker just yet.

If I do buy it, I would like to also buy Poker Ace. I've been playing for a few months now; I played mostly SnGs, as a winning player, but as my game improved I saw my high M play substantially best my low M play and began to dread late game play. This, coupled with helping a friend of mine begin playing cash games (where I would basically sit behind them and coach them through hand after hand, watching her double her money left and right while taking my advice) had me very much more interested in cash games. I've logged in a few hours in the lowest of micros to test the waters again - the last time I played cash games was when I first began to play and I lost my ass quickly, so I was a little more timid about playing to the extent of my bankroll. My question is essentially this:

Is the ~90 dollar investment worth it in order to help micro limit(.10~) play? Should I invest only in PT in order to find my leaks and then pick up HUD later? Should I just play until a higher level before contemplating any of this?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker in micro limits

I think PT is well worth the money if you intend to review your hands and if you intend to play poker for a long time. I think that getting a HUD hinders your development as a good player because people go on autopilot once they get the stats up on the screen and they forget about taking notes on people.

My suggestion... get PT, do not get PAHUD immediately. Review hands in PT, profit. Work on developing note-skills. If you can get really good at note-taking, you'll have a huuge edge over the PAHUD bots.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM

There are some affiliate programs out there that list PT as one of their give aways for certain poker room sign-ups etc.

That might be worth looking into.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 AM

pokersourceonline.com (which just happens to sponsor the bonus forum at this here site) offers PT as one of their gifts. Takes about 6k hands at .50/1 to clear it, or at least it did for me playing at Prima.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:40 AM

I haven't seen any affiliate programs that don't require a high amount of online site points earned, meaning I'd have to play longer at a higher limit in order to earn points relatively fast. Currently my bankroll narly supports .10 games.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Ok, then I'd step boldly forward and say that you don't need PT for the next few months. Buy SSHE and grind through the penny stakes. You don't need PT to tell you that everyone around you is playing too loose and too passive. And, likely enough, PT won't tell you why you're an overall loser with AJo (because there's a good chance you'll be one at the beginning [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), just THAT you are.

By thinking about the game and taking notes, you'll realize soon enough what hands come up frequently and what hands you have trouble with. Check back here with them. Save your $40 or whatever for additional br-cushion and grind up.

Edit: Of course make sure to safe your HHs files and back them up so that when you eventually get PT, you can import them.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM

I know far past the basics, I'd believe (I fall somewhere in the Leaper category on the range of playerS). I'm well-read, and am overall a winning player. Mostly I'm shifting from STT/MTT to cash because of variance being such a bitch. How powerful of a book is SSHE? I'm reluctant to drop more money on reading, and after how much I've read, I'm becoming weary of deminishing returns.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:04 PM

If your +/- $90 investment will pay about $20 per year in increased wins (or decreased losses as the case may be) it's a solid investment.

I personally bought and paid for both programs. I use them diligently at micro stakes and feel like they have way more than paid for themselves in less than a year. PT more than PAHUD but then PAHUD is a lower investment as well.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know far past the basics, I'd believe (I fall somewhere in the Leaper category on the range of playerS). I'm well-read, and am overall a winning player. Mostly I'm shifting from STT/MTT to cash because of variance being such a bitch. How powerful of a book is SSHE? I'm reluctant to drop more money on reading, and after how much I've read, I'm becoming weary of deminishing returns.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE is a VERY GOOD read, especially for players new to limit. It is well worth the $20-$25 dollars. I think this book is a must-read for any low-limit player.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly I'm shifting from STT/MTT to cash because of variance being such a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the MTT part but IN MY EXPERIENCE the variance at cash games is gonna be way worse than that in STTs. but again that's just my experience and may not count for much.