Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Default How much value lost when trading in?

This might be a stupid question or unanswerable but I'm going to try anyways. I have a 2006 Acura TL and I love my car, BUT the other day when looking with the fiancee for cars we test drove the new 2007 4 door G35 and fell in love with the car. It's pretty sick, especially with the tech package. I know it's not the smartest financially to trade in my car for a new one, but say I do how much extra money am I really going to be spending in the grand scheme of things. The blue book sale value of my car is 27k, with a trade in value of 25k, and the g35 has a sticker price of 38k. Obviously it will be 13k over what I owe on the TL which I'm guesstimating at 15k, but then how much in extra value in the car am I gaining?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: How much value lost when trading in?

If you can get a trade value of $25k then it's not a bad deal. Good luck with that though.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Did you get the 25K figure from Kelly bluebook or from the actual dealer? I doubt they would give you the full bluebook value in a trade-in, but maybe I'm underestimating how desperate the car dealers are right now.

Swede
Old 05-15-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you get the 25K figure from Kelly bluebook or from the actual dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

From Kbb.com and I understand that it would be pretty tough to get that through the dealer, but I would likely sell it myself IF I did in fact decide to get the G35.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you get the 25K figure from Kelly bluebook or from the actual dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

From Kbb.com and I understand that it would be pretty tough to get that through the dealer, but I would likely sell it myself IF I did in fact decide to get the G35.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will probably get 17 to 20k if the kbb trade in is 25k. Sell it privately. or get some sweet insurance and drive into a wall, then you will get full retail KBB value.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:58 PM

Doesn't Kbb usually give different prices for the value if you are buying or selling from a private party as opposed to buying or selling to a dealer?

Is the consensus here that he will get less for the car than the Kbb trade in value when trading it in? If so, what is the purpose of the Kbb trade in value?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Kbb usually give different prices for the value if you are buying or selling from a private party as opposed to buying or selling to a dealer?

Is the consensus here that he will get less for the car than the Kbb trade in value when trading it in? If so, what is the purpose of the Kbb trade in value?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kbb.com will give you the trade-in value, the value if you want to sell it privately, and the value that a dealer would sell it for. Most dealers try to stick it in you when trading in, so their trade-in value is usually way less than kbb. kbb is also just an estimation.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:33 PM

OK, I just re-read your post and let me check if I got this right...you still owe 15K on your Acura. You are planning on selling the Acura privately for (hopefully) 27K which means you will have cleared 14K to put down on the Infinity? This would mean you would now owe 24K on your new vehicle. Is all that correct? If so what exactly are you asking here? Obviously it's never a smart financial move to buy new vehicles two years in a row, but you already established that in the OP.

Personally I'd wait one year, purchase a 1-year old G35 with low miles and lots of factory warranty left; at that point you could probably manage a near swap without owing a bunch of money on the new vehicle.

Swede
Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I just re-read your post and let me check if I got this right...you still owe 15K on your Acura. You are planning on selling the Acura privately for (hopefully 27K) which means you will have cleared 14K to put down on the Infinity? This would mean you would now owe 24K on your new vehicle. Is all that correct? If so what exactly are you asking here? Obviously it's never a smart financial move to buy new vehicles two years in a row, but you already established that in the OP.

Personally I'd wait one year, purchase a 1-year old G35 with low miles and lots of factory warranty left; at that point you could probably manage a near swap without owing a bunch of money on the new vehicle.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede, be careful. If the seller-to-be of a 1 year old G35 with low millage and lots of factory warranty left reads your post then the OP may have no car to buy!