Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if the floor does a countdown of the clock and has his hand declared dead when s
Yes 7 15.56%
No 38 84.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Default So many straddles, where the hell do I sit?

Not sure if it's the right forum or not...I played in a $5-10nl game last week at Greektown that was pretty wild. I wasn't sure where to sit! Since the money flows clockwise, I try to sit to the left of the big stack, however in this case most people had more than I did. Also in NL I'd rather sit across from the maniac instead of directly to his left so I don't always follow that (in limit I prefer to sit directly to his left, however).

I'm in seat 1 w/ the button ($1300 in chips)
Seat 2, SB ($7,000) is a decent player that never straddled yet
Seat 3, BB ($1500), straightforward player, doesn't straddle either.
Seat 4 ($7,000), straddle 1 all the time. He's definitely loose, agressive and isn't afraid of much
Seat 5 ($1500), usually re-straddles for $30, then straddles again when it's his turn! Yes he's pretty loose. But it's nice to be the button
Seat 6 ($1000), tight predictable player, no straddle
Seat 7 is open
Seat 8 ($700) straddle 3. He's loose preflop as well, but not bad post flop
Seat 9 ($2000) straddle 4. I don't know much about him
Seat 10 ($3000) straddle 5. He's very loose and passive

When seat 7 opened up, would you take it to be in position against the first and second straddlers? They're by far the loosest at the table and they're not afraid to gamble. Or would you rather stay where you are where you have the button against the straddle and restraddle and also don't have to be subjected to one in either of your blinds? I don't mind if my blind is straddled every once in a while, but when it happens every time I get sick of it.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: So many straddles, where the hell do I sit?

personally, I'd rather be at the end of the train in that mess. Things are super loose, but it's still a decent game from the sounds of it.
An argument could be made that it is loose enough to justify losing a blind here and there to seats 8, 9, & 10. This is a judgement call here.
my 2c
Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 AM

keep the most predictable players on your left and the others on your right, so that you can see how the unpredictable players act before it's your action

note that predictable includes people that raise preflop every single hand, as you can limp in and trap the field... but most of the time it just means people that won't randomly play back at you when you're trying to isolate weak limpers or see a cheap flop, etc
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM

yeah it was a very good game indeed
Old 05-10-2007, 03:49 PM

I want to be on the button for the re-straddle. I think this is the best spot to be.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:56 PM

You have a great seat - your blinds aren't the ones getting straddled. And as noted, your button is going to be fun each round.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM

There's nothing wrong with having your blinds straddled if the game is loose. In many games, your blinds were going to get raised 90% of the time anyway, so it doesn't matter to you if you have junk. If you have a premium hand, then there's more money in the pot before the action gets to you. In other types of games, you can let everyone limp in and then steal their dead money with a big raise regardless of your cards.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:19 PM

I have thought a lot about this too. I think being on the button is the best place to be, especially since your raises and calls are going to be fairly large with respect to your stack given all the straddling and restraddling. Also, being on the button doesn't allow somone to call "because they have position" on you, when you want them to fold(which is most of the time). If EP(after the straddle) are loose raisers, then being on the button or in the blinds provide good squeezing opportunities with a lot of dead money.