Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Default WSOP: Poker News not Card Player?

Why would the WSOP pick Poker News instead of Card Player to cover the Series this summer. Didn't Poker News just start reporting a few months ago? Link at: Press Release Leap
Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: WSOP: Poker News not Card Player?

hmmmm,

1. Bluff paid Harrahs more than CardPlayer offered, and hired PokerNews ?

2. Bluff paid Harrahs less than CardPlayer offered, but Harrah's was sick to death of Barry, Happy and Allyn Jaffreys Shulman ?

3. PokerNews is a pretty good site, which is why Bluff is relying on them.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:31 PM

OK Duh! My question was not well thought out. Bluff got the media rights instead of Card Player this year. I guess my question is; doesn't Bluff have its own team of tournament reporters? I got it why they would not hire their biggest competitor CP to do it (Duh again) but Poker News? Are they big enough and or good enough? Just asking, last summer was frustrating at times to follow the Series on CP and I was hoping for some improvement.. but if they keep switching the providers, won't they just be starting all over with new people but the same task only bigger this year?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Bluff Media actually outbid CardPlayer Media to be the official Internet information provider for the 2007 WSOP.

Much like what CardPlayer did in 2006 by subcontracting the live chip count updates to FullTiltPoker.net/PokerWire.com, Bluff Media is subcontracting the live chip count updates to PokerNews.com.

PokerNews.com has a battle-tested crew of tournament reporters: BJ Nemeth, Paul McGuire, Tim Lavalli, and Amy Calistri are all based in the U.S. and have over 10 years of poker tournament reporting experience combined.

(I have worked along side all 4 reporters listed above and I can attest that they will work hard at the 2007 WSOP.)

Furthermore, both Lavalli and McGuire covered the Aussie Millions and the EPT Grand Final in 2007 so they are also familiar with the European and Australian players.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:24 PM

I don't know why the WSOP picked Bluff Magazine and Bluff Media. I would guess it is because they are a class operation and can deliver what Harrah's wanted. It was a business decision and they partnered with the best company for their purposes. That is the way big corporations do things. Bluff Magazine is for sale at book stores and magazine stores all over America and Europe. Card Player has withdrawn from the newsstands in favor of being given away in card rooms. Both are fine magazines.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bluff Media actually outbid CardPlayer Media to be the official Internet information provider for the 2007 WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no "bidding" for the rights....just FYI. Answer #2 in the other post is closer to the truth.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Pokernews seems the obvious choice when you equate in they can deliver chip counts/live updates in numerous languages, something none of the other outlets can currently do.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM

WSOP = not CardPlayer.
Andy Beal = not card player.

Coincidence? I think not.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Bluff paid Harrahs less than CardPlayer offered, but Harrah's was sick to death of Barry, Happy and Allyn Jaffreys Shulman ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds probably closest to the actual truth. CP is little more than an affiliate for FT anymore anyway. Good to see them out of the loop.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I have worked along side all 4 reporters listed above and I can attest that they will work hard at the 2007 WSOP.)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you can't. You can attest to their professionalism, or discipline, or whatever characteristic you have observed in them, but you can't attest to something that hasn't happened yet.

Aren't you a writer?