Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Gym membership

Hey guys I just got back from college (PSU) for the summer and I was considering joining the local L.A. fitness near my home. I talked to a sales rep and the price is $149 for a 4month membership (pay it up front then it just expires after the 4 months). There is also a way to become a full member and pay $10 a month for months you do not go to the gym. My problem is if I get the 4month play they also want me to pay a $187 activation fee. This does not seem cost fesible to me. Is there any chance that a gym will waive the activation fee in order to get you to join? I'm just curious I havn't really asked them that many questions yet.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Gym membership

187+149 is insane for 4 months!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
187+149 is insane for 4 months!

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

Both the places I would go to offer 1 month/45$ no commitment and 1 month/50$ no commitment.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:32 AM

This is sadly pretty standard for all the big chain gyms. The only real deals I'm aware of are paying upfront for a year or two.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is sadly pretty standard for all the big chain gyms. The only real deals I'm aware of are paying upfront for a year or two.

[/ QUOTE ]
How's this deal?
600 something for three years, upfront.

Thereafter, 20 bucks a year. 24 hr fitness btw, and I'm pretty sure my membership is NOW all gyms, although I think I signed up as all non-sport gyms. Not sure what happened there. I'm on my first $20 year. Basically paid $600 for like 20 gym workout, but whatever.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 AM

I'd say thats a pretty good deal! Is there a 24 in the US that has more than one squat rack? I've been to around eight and no dice so far.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say thats a pretty good deal! Is there a 24 in the US that has more than one squat rack? I've been to around eight and no dice so far.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine has one squat rack, one power rack.

Do the "sport" gyms have equipment so you can drop a barbell from shoulder height?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 AM

LA Fitness sounds like a full-service health club similar to mine, with full weights, cardio rooms, pools, hoops, racquetball, etc. The retail, adult dues at my club cost approx. $600 year, although I get about 40% off my costs due to my courtesy appointment at the local hospital which owns the club.

At the lower end here in New England is a chain called Planet Fitness (also available in CA), which unfortunately looked to me to be a glorified, meat-market, treadmill barn...with seasonal specials as low $120/yr.

Obviously, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. you really aren't getting that much more out of a 600/year gym than you are out of a 300/year gym (unless the cheap one is just a mess). i pay 30/month, and there is no excercise i can't do with what my gym offers. the overpriced/overcrowded chain gyms are not vastly superior.

its not how much you pay, its how much effort you put in
Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. you really aren't getting that much more out of a 600/year gym than you are out of a 300/year gym (unless the cheap one is just a mess). i pay 30/month, and there is no excercise i can't do with what my gym offers. the overpriced/overcrowded chain gyms are not vastly superior.

its not how much you pay, its how much effort you put in

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You definitely don't get what you pay for in terms of gym memberships. The chains charge ridiculous fees, often lock you into contracts, etc. and in return they do things like fill 80% of the place with worhtless machines and have rules against Olympic lifts, etc. Plus most real gyms are run by knowledgeable people, whereas expensive chains usually have some clueless 17 year-old kid who took a mail order course so he could hang out at the gym all day.