Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Default 10/20 live am I a donk or is this a tricky spot

So I've recently started playing stud live this is my first real shot at live stud hi Bring in is $3 and ante's are a dollar. The bring-in is directly to my right. The game is generally tight passive. I raise with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] door card. Only the bring in calls who has a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]door card on 4th street I get 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I bet 20 villan gets 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and calls 5th street I get a J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
and bet 20 villan gets K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and calls 6th I get a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and bet 20 villan gets 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and calls 7th street brings a blank for me with a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I bet 20 villan gets a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and calls he shows aces and 3's which has my J's and 6's beat can I get away from this hand
? if so where if I check 5th and he bets can I then get away from this hand?
Thanks, Blaze
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: 10/20 live am I a donk or is this a tricky spot

Villain paired his door card and checked on 4th. I would check behind with my small pair. It gets trickier on 5th street when you pair your door card.

I think you kind of got trapped, and I would be a little suspicious of the check on 4th. Villain often is trapping with trips or in maybe aces up or kings up. In any case, he should be the favorite, with atleast 2 pair or a live 3-flush and a pair.

Maybe better to post hands step by step or atleast don't initially post results.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 AM

I can think of better things to do than play in a tight $10/20 game. I think completing on third was OK, but folding is going to be better in most games. I will limp in a loose-passive game.

Your description is confusing. Did the other guy pair Treys on fourth? I would assume so if you were able to bet $20. I just might check behind in this case. Your hand isn't that great and he's probably not folding. I'd hate to be check-raised in this spot.

If the other guy is at all decent, when he calls you on fifth street, you should be in trouble. You're representing trip Jacks, and he doesn't seem to care. I'm not saying you should check and fold, but you might want to slow down and think about what he's calling you with. If he's a calling station, by all means bet sixth. By the same token, you might consider checking the river.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 AM

Yes, that's a tricky spot. No, you can't get away from it - and you shouldn't. Buy the guy a drink and thank him in a prayer for being a contributor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] These are the guys who win the least with their big hands and lose the most with their poor hands - they do a lot of calling, and that's about it - they're some of the best to play with. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM

I don't think this is a very good analysis at all. The guy slowplayed his pocket aces in a tight, low ante game looking to get action. On fourth, he catches very scary and makes a hand that has a good chance of holding up, so the last thing he wants to do is scare his opponent. Then on fifth, as he's thinking about whether to c/r there or sixth (I'd probably wait for sixth), hero pairs his door, making trip jacks a very real possibility. Now he simply calls down, since he is not prepared to raise/fold to reraise agianst an unknown. As played, opponent won about the max when ahead and would have lost the min. when behind, given he wanted showdown. Stud is not like hold'em, calling is much more frequently a good line. Now, if the jacks check on sixth or the river, I'm betting my aces up (unless the opponent is very tricky), so a bet is always going in regardless.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Sooner or later some of you are gonna learn to fear a paired door card on 4th!!! I would have checked behind on 4th & took a freebie.

I'm using the term *you* loosely, referring to the general stud playing populace because I see players all the time ignoring a paired door card on 4th.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sooner or later some of you are gonna learn to fear a paired door card on 4th!!! I would have checked behind on 4th & took a freebie.

I'm using the term *you* loosely, referring to the general stud playing populace because I see players all the time ignoring a paired door card on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be suspicious of anyone who checks a paired door card on 4th street, unless they are the bringin and a limped pot. I haven't seen it be aces up that often. Usually it is trips.