Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Today\'s small sample size award goes to....

[ QUOTE ]
"Casey did a great job in the two-hole," manager Eric Wedge said. "Offensively, Vic had a couple of big hits, but Casey was the one setting the table for him."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good job Casey Blake, way to set the table for the tribe.

Riddle me this Wedge, if you understand that "settting the table", as you put it, is so important for a baseball team why is a guy hitting .220/.317/376 in your GODDAMN MOTHER [censored] #2 hole? I mean, i understand that Casey is under preforming his career stats right now and you are hoping for a regression to the mean, but his goddamn mother [censored] mean is a .258/.330/.440. Get it through your head wedge. The guy sucks. A lot.
In closing your second worst hitter should not bat in your #2 spot, once you figure this out I will hate you a little bit less, until then, please die in a grease fire.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Today\'s small sample size award goes to....

[ QUOTE ]
Get it through your head wedge. The guy sucks. A lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

League average doesn't suck.

[ QUOTE ]
In closing your second worst hitter should not bat in your #2 spot, once you figure this out I will hate you a little bit less, until then, please die in a grease fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many runs do you think it would add to the team, over the course of a whole season, to rearrange the lineup so that Blake bats 7th (or whatever)? How many added wins?

If you think the answer is "a lot" you need to do more reading (or you can unjustiably continue to congralute yourself for being smarter than the manager, which is part of the fun of sports).
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 AM

If hitting him second gives him enough confidence or improves him even marginally over leaving him in the bottom of the order, it's worth it. Lineup order is just not that important.

I'm similarly fine with Francona's use of Coco Crisp in the 2-hole on occasion.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blake is better than league average I think
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blake is better than league average I think

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean league average OF. He's better than a replacement outfielder, but not materially different than an average major leaguer.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get it through your head wedge. The guy sucks. A lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many runs do you think it would add to the team, over the course of a whole season, to rearrange the lineup so that Blake bats 7th (or whatever)? How many added wins?

If you think the answer is "a lot" you need to do more reading (or you can unjustiably continue to congralute yourself for being smarter than the manager, which is part of the fun of sports).

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf does it matter if it's a lot or a little? if it's costing your team runs it's costing your team runs
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Casey Blake isn't even close to league average this year, if he was a player with a big upside, a former star you expect (or just hope) to regain his form. He a league average player in his decline years (he's 33) who is putting up terrible numbers.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly, if you could read, my problem is with Wedge, and the way i have to listen to him, after every game, talk about how after a win "the guys at the top of the lineup really set the table for us", or after a loss "those guys at the top of the lineup didn't get on base and that really hurt us". I don't give a crap that moving him in the lineup is only worth 0.02 wins over a season, I don't want to hear a guy talk about how setting the table is important when he bats 220/317/376 (thats after going 2/4 with a BB). Wedge can't do both. Pick one and run with it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Casey Blake isn't even close to league average this year

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Today's small sample size award goes to....

[/ QUOTE ]

irony
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf does it matter if it's a lot or a little? if it's costing your team runs it's costing your team runs

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It's not a lot or a little, it's neglible beside the magnitude of luck involved in the game. It similar to complaining about the manager of a company who's stock you're investing in because he stole a box of pens and that's going to drive the stock price down.
2. The self righteous anger in the OP would be justifiable only if it mattered a lot.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't give a crap that moving him in the lineup is only worth 0.02 wins over a season

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you shouldn't care where he bats.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to hear a guy talk about how setting the table is important when he bats 220/317/376 (thats after going 2/4 with a BB).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

If this kind of thing upsets you, you probably shouldn't be listening to post-game interviews. You're not going to find a lot of well thought out discussions of strategy there.