Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 AM

Default AK Live $3/6 top pair with gutshot

Live $3/6. Table loose passive. Villain is known to get a little tricky and make some plays with marginal hands - not a complete psycho, but definitely not a nit.

I am early position with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raise.

2 middle position call and villain calls on button. Big blind calls.

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, no action, except for villain, who raises. I call.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I bet, villain raises. I call.

River: blank. I check/call.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: AK Live $3/6 top pair with gutshot

Meh. He raised you on consecutive streets & after the ace fell (which also completed the only flopped draw you could've had), so you're hardly ever going to be good when he bets the river. But I guess 12:1 is good enough given the opponent, if you think he'd overplay KQ or something this badly.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM

He does have outs to call on the turn right? (~10 BB with his gutter and possible trips/2pair draw)
<p>
But shouldn't a check/call make more sense (Check hands w/ outs, bet hands with none?)
Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 PM

I think this is fine. I like the turn bet because too many people go into a shell when that Ace hits, although this guy may be the type to bet it regardless. I agree with Harv - call river given your description.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He does have outs to call on the turn right? (~10 BB with his gutter and possible trips/2pair draw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he has to call the turn raise. As far as betting the turn, it's a pretty clear value bet as villain will often check behind with hands he'd call a bet with (KQ, QJ, etc). I don't like going for a c/r because, once again, we're forced to call a 3bet when it comes (and because of the potential for villain to check behind).
Old 05-09-2007, 03:28 PM

can anyone argue why no one check raise on the turn?, you are likely to have the best hand, and you want to gain 1 more bet from villan.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone argue why no one check raise on the turn?, you are likely to have the best hand, and you want to gain 1 more bet from villan.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't want to give a free card to hands that just got scared of the ace and will check behind(KQ, QJ) and since we have a gutshot and other outs versus his range, we are forced to call a turn 3bet. bet/call is the correct play.