Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Calling Bets Cold Preflop

Ok, when, if ever, does anyone do this? I know for the most part SSHE advocates never doing it, and I know for those less familiar with the game that is good advice. In full games multiway with position I have nothing wrong with it. Six handed is a bit different though.

Yesterday I found myself at a great table. UTG open limps, he is new to the game. UTG+1= 59/12/.4. He raises. CO=50/4/.5, he cold calls. I am the btn with 75s. At one time this was an insta fold, because I don't cold call preflop, bad players do. I just feel like with my postflop edge, position, and my seat I can't pass this up.

In this spot, what is playable or close? How do you feel about suited Aces, broadways, our suited connectors? I leave out pairs because I am playing any pair.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Calling Bets Cold Preflop

I never thought cold calling was bad, just being the first cold caller is bad.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM

In this spot I'd cold call 22-99 and QTs/QJs/KT-KQs. Speculative hands like 87s I would fold, though cc with those can't be too wrong if it is.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM

i would definitely call JTs/T9s, probably 98s, sometimes 87s. 75s is trash in this spot though, as much as I love the little one gappers.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Little one-gappers, and even little no gappers are pretty much trash outside the blinds at 6-max.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 PM

I believe you still will need a decent hand like T9s to cold call in this spot. You´re up against people that are not folding postflop. You probably need to spike two pair or better to win with the more speculative hands.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:59 PM

does anyone here raise in this spot w/ 98s-QJs? Also, do you raise w/TT, call w/ KQo?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you still will need a decent hand like T9s to cold call in this spot. You´re up against people that are not folding postflop. You probably need to spike two pair or better to win with the more speculative hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking to get people to fold. I'm looking to hit hard, or flop monster draws. Also, when I completely miss I lose nothing postflop. And my position allows me to fold one pair facing more than one bet, which regardless of odds I plan on doing w/out some serious redraw action. My position also allows me to call with small pairs potentially closing the action.

That said I think it is probably a bad call. But I think it is pretty close, with it leaning towards bad. But OTB w/ this seat, I don't feel too bad about it.