Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Default JTo flop spot

BB is 25/16 or so, one of the better players at this limit. CO is unknown, but he limped in the CO so hes probably a clown.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero
Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: JTo flop spot

3bet the flop and play good poker the rest of the way.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM

I 3bet. Might get BB to fold overcards, and you are probably ahead of CO (I'm only scared of something like QT to be honest). He doesn't have to be a good player to realise BB pbb has overcards so he could be doing this with a lot of hands.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM

3bet yo. push BB off his overcards. you are ahead of CO a alot of the time here.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:29 AM

yea, you have the best hand here most of the time.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Okay so you 3 bet the flop no problem with that: 1 they both call 2 only the origonal raiser calls leaving you HU.
Okay now the flush card comes on the turn.

Can you fold in 1 or 2? Or do we just pay off?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 PM

This is not a good situation for you. Most 25/16 types have a good hand for this PFR out of the BB. You will frequently be up against an overpair or better ten and when you are you may get put through a wringer.

The lack of a read on CO is another serious problem. Many players who would open limp like this will not raise a PFR on the flop without a strong hand. Others are the reverse and would slowplay if they actually had something. Their raises show a weak pair or even less.

With better reads I would often fold the flop. It's OK to sometimes laydown the best hand here because it will cost 3-4 BB to take this to showdown and lose.

With the actual reads I 3-bet. I'm hoping to drive out BB's overcards or underpair right now. If he doesn't fold then it is likely that I have a problem. Similarly if CO raises again I'm probably behind. It will be a lot easier to make an informed decision to escape on the turn or river.

Further plans:

1. If BB caps he has probably got you beat, call and checkfold the turn unimproved.

2. If CO caps, call and checkfold the turn unimproved. I'm counting on him taking a free card with a draw.

3. If no one caps then in most cases I bet the turn and fold to a raise.

The thing you must not do here is call two cold. That will leave you trapped between two opponents with no idea what your hand is worth. If you show a lot of strength now and you still don't get any respect then you can be reasonably certain you are behind. But if you act weak then you will have no idea whether further aggression on their parts is legitimate strength or merely a reaction to your display of weakness.