Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Enlisting in Navy Under SEAL Challenge Contract

I work on wall street and hate it. I need a change and to feel i'm doing something relevant.
Just want some feedback on peoples opinions of going into the Navy under the SEAL contract. I may be able to go in as an officer too. I've been on other mil forums, but I thought I could get varied/less biased opins here. Also, if you're a SEAL please PM me if you have time to talk about the role.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Enlisting in Navy Under SEAL Challenge Contract

How old? what kind of physical shape are you in? What would your PFT score be like now? Do you think you have it mentally, to be able to push your limits to the breaking point? these are questions you need to ask yourself
Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need a change and to feel i'm doing something relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum. You're about to have a bunch of rabid anarchists tell you that killing for the government for stolen money is about the most unethical vocation you can possibly undertake.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum. You're about to have a bunch of rabid anarchists tell you that killing for the government for stolen money is about the most unethical vocation you can possibly undertake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to entertain all opinions. Also: 84 pushups, 85 situps, 21 pullups, 10 min 1.5 mile, 500yd swim in 11 mins
Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to entertain all opinions. Also: 84 pushups, 85 situps, 21 pullups, 10 min 1.5 mile, 500yd swim in 11 mins

[/ QUOTE ]

Well all of those pass the minimums required to be assigned to BUD/S, but I'd definitely want to improve on each and every one of them. You don't get to be a SEAL operator by simply passing the minmums, you know? If you don't mind me asking, why select the path to become a SEAL? Did you happen to watch Under Siege, or is this something you've been thinking about for awhile? I ask, because if you haven't thought long and hard about this then chances are you're going to be in over your head.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 PM

War is a racket by Gen. Smedley Butler.

Even more relevant now than when written in the 1930s.

And if you want a challenge, how about rescuing whales by hand, or holding up three orphans on each arm?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 PM

I've thought about it for several months, watched the discovery channel bud/s video, talked to a recruiter (never to a seal though), taken asvab, and yes...played SOCOM. I thought my times were good (more than double the mins). I know its a commitment, but I feel like i don't know enough to potentially sign my life away yet. Once I go, I don't think I'd give up.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
War is a racket by Gen. Smedley Butler.

Even more relevant now than when written in the 1930s.

And if you want a challenge, how about rescuing whales by hand, or holding up three orphans on each arm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Butler was a great Marine. But please keep this out of the thread, it comes off as trollish. Every culture has its warriors. 75s wants to be a warrior. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM

I hate wales (i like dolphins though).
I've done the orphan lifting...
Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've thought about it for several months, watched the discovery channel bud/s video, talked to a recruiter (never to a seal though), taken asvab, and yes...played SOCOM. I thought my times were good (more than double the mins). I know its a commitment, but I feel like i don't know enough to potentially sign my life away yet. Once I go, I don't think I'd give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very intimidating to sign on the dotted line if/when it comes to that. But I'd say keep looking for more information i.e. dropout rates, what would you ideally want to do in the Navy (as a SEAL too), what would you do if you couldn't hack the training? Even though you can't "see" yourself quitting, the long walk to that DOR bell is paved by thousands of others who said the very same thing. Have you always been adept in the water? Just make sure that you fully understand what the real world implications of becoming a SEAL entail.