Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Default 7even 4our Poker League

Hey - new to this forum. I am in a poker league that has about 25 people in it (all co-workers and spouses). We have a lot of fun doing it. We buy in at $10 for each tourney and we keep stats and rankings. But I have a problem with our point system and wanted to get some inputs.

We give points based on several things - where you finish, final table (final 6 players) - then points for finishing in the money (1-4) - of course more points for winning - points for winning with a 7-4 hand (story behind this and the name of the league) - but my problem : points for eliminations - 5 points each.

I think we give too many points for eliminations. So my questions is - how important is eliminations to an overall ranking system?

To put this in perspective - I am the only player that has placed in the final table for all 5 of our tourneys. I finished 6th once, 5th once, and 3d three times. In our Spring circuit, I am currently ranked 5th overall. But, I finished 3d in both of our spring tourneys...the person who ranks in 1st placed 20th in one tourney and 2nd in the other...the ONLY reason he is ranked first is because he got a lot of eliminations in last tourney. He is very loose and had a lucky night. When he's not lucky, he ends up in 20th (about his normal). So he gets lucky one night and wins a lot of all-ins and so he is in first place. The person in 2nd - won last tourney, but placed in 19th in the other. A win is a win...and I haven't won...so no problem...same with the 3d place person. But the 4th place person is only there because of eliminations.

I talked to our host and he seems to place a lot of emphasis on eliminations as to say who is the best/champ. I don't. I think we should give points for it, but you get as much PER elimination as you do for making the final table.

So, what do YOU think...should you be able to lead a league based on eliminations? If you finish 20th and 2nd over 2 tourneys, should you be ahead of a guy that finished 3d at both tourneys?

Check out our website: http://home.comcast.net/~drygh/sevenfour.htm
Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: 7even 4our Poker League

Eliminations is not the best measure of who is the best player IMO. Yes I would agreee there is too much emphasis on this in your point structure - reaching the final table or finishing in the money are a bigger achievement that sucking out on someone and eliminating them.

What other stats do you track?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Honestly, I hear a lot of sore loser in this post, especially the whining about your friend being number one.

However, I do think elimination should be a very minor piece of the points. It's easy to luck your way into eliminations and bad players probably have more chances to earn them actually since they'll be all in more often or call all ins incorrectly and then get lucky.

It's a faulty system, but it's the one you've been dealt. If you could get it altered, it would be more correct, but don't hassle the director too much about it if he's stern on it.

Good luck. Sounds like fun.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I hear a lot of sore loser in this post, especially the whining about your friend being number one.

However, I do think elimination should be a very minor piece of the points. It's easy to luck your way into eliminations and bad players probably have more chances to earn them actually since they'll be all in more often or call all ins incorrectly and then get lucky.

It's a faulty system, but it's the one you've been dealt. If you could get it altered, it would be more correct, but don't hassle the director too much about it if he's stern on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally agree, except maybe the first sentence. Either way, OP, the sucky system is what it is for this year. Deal with it and get it changed next year.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM

I wouldn't say whining. I haven't won and don't deserve to be number 1 (not yet).

I guess the best way to explain this is we are all friends and peers/coworkers. I would say I have a lot of influence since I've been around since the inception and the commish and I are good friends. I am one of about 4 or 5 real good players (relatively speaking). I at least read/study/play a lot and I understand a lot about the game. Of course, as Phil says - it takes an hour to learn, a lifetime to master. Obviously I'm not a pro or expert, but I know more than the average off the street player...like some of our guys who just get drunk and "gamble".

I love playing and will continue to play...just wanted some opinions on value of eliminations. I just don't think eliminations should be valued so much in a league such as ours where about half are gamblers - not poker players.

We actually debated this today at work. The commish was there and about 4 or 5 others. He agreed that maybe we give too much emphasis on elminations and several other people voiced the same concern. If we are going to keep points, we feel we can tweak them to be more balanced. We are not pros so we want it be a fun experience for all types (LAG/TAG/durnk and don't care). To make the final table, you get 5 points. 1 elimination gets you 5 points. While I think we can reward eliminations, I don't think they should be worth that much and I think consistent finished toward the top should be.

We are going to put up a vote on restructuring after the spring circuit. We are thinking of taking the elim's down to 3 and then bumping up points for final table/in the money/winning. There should be no substitute for winning. The money is awarded right % wise...just points are not.

Anyway - I wasn't just whining (maybe a little) and I'm certainly not a sore loser. I am still way at the top for yearly points. I was wanting some inputs so WE can help run this thing better. We are still new to this and the rules/points will change as we get better at it. But we haven't looked too much at other leagues. We just went off the cuff on this one.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Now that you've added this other information you are in the same position that I was a couple years ago.

I came into this game through new coworkers and was also the guy who studied the game, tournaments, proper rules and structures and by working and talking w/ the host who is now my best friend, got a lot of positive changes made. Most are under appreciated and had to be slowly implemented over time.

Now the game is at my place and I run the show and he helps me out. So I think you're in the same boat, but just a couple years behind.

Good luck making the game better for your folks.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:19 PM

I don't see a reason elimination should get ANY points at all. Its a poker tournament, not a western show down. The point is to get as much money as possible, not to knock people out.

If ya gotta give it something, and I don't see a reason to, give it a point. I've never been in poker league, but as far as poker goes, it doesn't make sense.