Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Default KQs -- Big mistakes or small?

This is about 1 orbit into a $5 buy in tourney. No good reads at this point. Stack sizes are approximate, since I didn't keep the hand history. Relevant stacks are correct.

Ultimatebet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed)

SB (t1470)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1970)
MP2 (t1500)
Hero (t1600)
CO (t1500)
Button (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">
UTG raises to t70</font>, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 1 fold, <font color="red">Hero raises to t210</font>, 15 folds, <font color="red">UTG raises to t600</font>, 1 fold, Hero calls.

Flop:(t1300) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG bets t880 (all-in)</font>, Hero ???

Preflop once the reraise came I put him on AA-QQ, or AK. Outside chance of JJ or AQs, but that would be odd. I'm getting 2.25 to 1 explicit odds and on the flop. His only real bet is all in, pushing my implied odds to 4 to 1. Furthermore, I know I'll go all the way with a flush draw and any kind of backdoor to match it, I know if I miss completely I'll fold, I know a pair is probably crap, and yes, I was feeling slightly insane when the hand began.

On the flop, I wasn't sure what to do with the a straight draw with a backdoor flush.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: KQs -- Big mistakes or small?

i wouldn't reraise UTG without any good reads, but the call of his reraise is pretty bad....You are committing yourself with the worst hand here always. As played I would probably call flop, but calling and folding both look pretty bad to me at this point.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:44 PM

Preflop I either call in position or fold. I would definitely not call a reraise for 40% of my stack with that hand. Once you got to the flop it would be very poor to fold to his push with and OESD, overcards and a backdoor flush.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM

After the hand was over, I realized I shouldn't have raised PF. Unfortunately, my head was still at the last table I was at where any raise was called in 4 places, and reraises weren't. Which is why I said, yes, I was insane.

What I was unclear on is/was calling the reraise.