Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Playing on Credit at a local spot

So, Ive been running bad and playing some bad at a local spot and Ive racked up 1200 dollars in debt for the third time for the third week in a row. I know the manager and he lets me play in the game because I keep the game going till the end of the night and I help him start games, but Im not sure of what to do anymore. Ive owed him more in the past, but the last 3 times I've owed him money, Ive bounced back to even and also up and ended up paying him off. Ive played about 125 hours there, and am an overall winner, but Ive cashed out of my bankroll to pay some bills etc... Whats your advice on credit? I only play off of credit because I know he will let me continue playing off of his money because I can, and have, payed him back on my upswings, but this is the third time and Im not sure if I can handle it. The stakes that I play are 1/2,2/5 no limit, so in relation to the blinds, its not a lot of money. There are probably 5 games a week w/ 1/2 running 3 times and 2/5 running twice. I play every day.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Playing on Credit at a local spot

Can you afford to pay him back? Only borrow money you know you'll be able to pay back. Have you considered the possibility you have a gambling problem?

EDIT: I'm not trying to come off as crass there, just saying that if you find yourself in a hole like that it's something you need to be honest with yourself about.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 PM

I am being honest about it. I cant pay him back at all, and he knows my situation. Ive been playing almost full time because I am trying to master and become a strong player. The manager is also a pretty good friend of mine, so the relationship is more personal. I dont know if I should classify my desire to become a good poker player as a gambling addiction, as I have proven myself to be a consistent winner at the game online.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM

quit poker and go back to school
Old 04-27-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quit poker and go back to school

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:45 PM

If what you're saying is true the best advice I can offer you is this:

1) Talk to the guy you owe money to and be honest with him. Set up a payment plan you know you can keep to and make sure your relationship stays "friendly".

2) Stop playing live poker, at least for now. Don't play a single hand of anything on credit.

3) If you can beat the online game, grind your way back playing micro or small stakes until you can pay off your debt and begin building a bankroll.

4) Practice sound bankroll management. If you want to "master" the game this is an integral component.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 PM

ask to borrow more money then put it all on 25 on roulette, after it hits (which it probably will) then u can pay him back and you'll have enough to spend on getting laid with and to play poker with that night. If it doesn't hit (and lets be honest, the chances of that happening are slim to none) then just shoot the guy you owe money to.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 PM

If this guy is lettting you play on credit, he takes the good with the bad.
I hear MEXICO is not bad this time of year.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:20 PM

I think I know who you are talking about (small world), you will get your legs broke if you dont pay up.

1 - Playing live is no longer the smart way to learn, I reccomend using a simulator like Poki - its rather realistic.

2 - It sounds as if you might have a gambling addiction, thats not good. I'd quit poker right away if I felt as if I was a losing player, and from your description we cannot tell yet (125 hours is a drop in the hat for poker) but its possible since you dont have the time under your belt yet.

here comes the tough love - stop playing live. Borrow money to pay back the house ASAP, and take a break. Your only going to go deeper into debt, and your not going to enjoy it when they decide to sell your debt to a third party.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your not going to enjoy it when they decide to sell your debt to a third party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say hi to Grandma for me.