Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Set and against a flush on the flop

I'm in a 1/2 No Limit game with about a $185 stack. I've been playing pretty solid, not getting too out of line on any hands, showing down good hands on the pots I've won, so overall my table image is solid.

I get 99 in middle-late position. Already 4 limpers in the pot, so I make it $15. Guy on the button calls as does all 4 of the original limpers. Basically the game was real loose, as you can see by all 4 original limpers from early and middle position still calling after I show a little strength and button still called. They would never re-evaluate the strength of their hands given situations.

Flop is J79 all hearts but giving me a set. Check, check, to me. Pot is close to $90. All the limpers check. I bet $60 because I feel I've got a big hand and it's just enough to get reraised and fold and have it not be the worst thing in the world to how much of my stack I committed on this hand. Button reraises all in with his stack being about $300, so he has me covered. This guy has also had a pretty good read on me throughout the night. Anytime I've had second pair on the flop and bet it he has reraised all in just because it seems he sort of has a feel as to how much I can actually call at certain times. He's a solid player, risks his whole stack too often with marginal hands, but he's alright.

I start probing him a little for information. He claims he has a set of jacks. I figure no way. In this game Jacks are monsters to these people. He would have reraised preflop. Finally I decide he flopped a weak flush and he went all in because he didn't want any limpers having a drawing hand that could beat him. I fold after all these considerations, and for some stupid reason I showed.

Dealer runs it to see what would have came. Turn card was a 7 making me a full. Everybody at the table begins to ridicule my play, saying there was no way I should have folded a set there, that with a hand that big you have to see the turn card otherwise I'm losing out on too many hands I should be winning. Guy that won the pot told me it was a heck of a fold to fold something so strong even though it's beat in that situation.

Was this an insta fold to most people here? I mean, bottom line, I thought I was beat. I knew I could always pair the board, but with 7 outs I'm only 38% to win this hand for all my stack. Should I be disregarding all the ridiculing I got? Also how would anybody have played this hand differently?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Set and against a flush on the flop

dont fold sets
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 AM

You are getting over 2:1 on the call. I would call.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 AM

Can you possibly go into detail or explain the reasoning to this advice, so I can be thinking better about my hand the next time this sort of situation comes up.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM

It's an automatic call. You have $110 left, and the pot you can win is now $260 I think. You are only a 2/1 dog to make your boat by the river. He could turn his hand face up and you would still have to call.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 AM

he could be doing this with alot of hands, he doesn't have JJ, he would have 3b pf (most likely) he could have AhJ/KhJ maybe, J9 (79/J7 if he's loose), 77, slow played AA/KK and against T8/flush you are better then 2:1 and are getting the odds. the only hand you are really worried about is JJ, and we figured out he doesn't have that due to pf.

basically: you've got odds (might be ahead haven't crunched the numbers) against his range. AARRRRR INNN!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM

You've put in 75 dollars, there are 60 dollars from the limpers, plus another 185 dollars from the button in this pot. According to my math you are calling 110 dollars to win around 320. You're about 2-1 against making a boat by the river. Even if he only does this with a straight or a flush this is a very profitable call. Factor in some pair + FD combos or an underset (ok, pretty unlikely) and folding this is just plain wrong.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's an automatic call. You have $110 left, and the pot you can win is now $260 I think. You are only a 2/1 dog to make your boat by the river. He could turn his hand face up and you would still have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 AM

I've got the math at $110 to win 260. I put in $75 total, 4 limpers plus the button calling made that another $75, plus the button put me all in for my last $110 I can only win another $110, comes out to $260 as I have it calculated. Looks like I made a bad play after all as I'm a 2/1 dog, but was actually getting almost 2.6/1 on my money.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Awful fold. OMG, you obviously have odds against a flush. And button most likely has something retarded like AJ.